flyfishvt

Cape Cod fishing report/update

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

27 mins ago, rafolo said:

Slip n slide. I’d like to see the statistics on recreational fisherman causing the demise of the striper fishery. It’s hard to believe that recreational fishermen (and women!) practicing catch and release are destroying the striper fishery as compared with large scale commercial overfishing. I’d love to see the facts if you can provide them. Otherwise you are simply presenting your “opinion” as compared with what you commented was my “opinion”. So send me the data please. I’ll look for data that supports my “opinion” as well. Funny that mass div of fish and game shut down commercial striper fishing in the canal. It would seem if the recreational fishermen were the problem, they’d shut down rec fishing and allow the commercial guys to clear out the canal. Strange?? 

Catch and release is not working bcz there are too many ppl fishing,45% mortality by ppl using      j hooks instead of circles.

Uhhh,it's your opinion that is not in line w/ reality.

Slip n slide is correct.  Rec fishermen nbrs are way up and they are putting a hurt on the bass.  The canal should have been closed to everybody. This would have been the perfect year to do it,

1 hour ago, rafolo said:

Slip n slide. I’d like to see the statistics on recreational fisherman causing the demise of the striper fishery. It’s hard to believe that recreational fishermen (and women!) practicing catch and release are destroying the striper fishery as compared with large scale commercial overfishing. I’d love to see the facts if you can provide them. Otherwise you are simply presenting your “opinion” as compared with what you commented was my “opinion”. So send me the data please. I’ll look for data that supports my “opinion” as well. Funny that mass div of fish and game shut down commercial striper fishing in the canal. It would seem if the recreational fishermen were the problem, they’d shut down rec fishing and allow the commercial guys to clear out the canal. Strange?? 

Spend 5 seconds on line and you get all the data that you need. But, I doubt that you'll do that. The blind won't see.

This crash is all on the rec angler.

Wow. Gang up on the guy who is trying to understand the situation. Maybe I’m naive and care enough about the fishery to be careful about the way I fish and catch and release. Yes I have looked online. I now realize it is a shared issue. Then again I don’t throw a whole bunker on a 7/0 hook and wait till the striper swallows it to set the hook. As I only fly fish, I’ll admit, I was not aware  the guys with the meat sticks at the canal are fighting fish to exhaustion and are a big part of the problem. 

It has also been noted “online”

that the commercial fishery mismanagement has contributed to the problem as well. 

So you can call me “blind”, “uninformed” or a “killer of babies” as another poster has done. It’s easy to accuse and deflect the blame.  Maybe we are all part of the problem and if we work together we can improve the situation. 

That would require some degree of intelligence and cooperation and perhaps a little less childhood “name

calling”. 

Can someone clear this up for me please ?

Are license heads boats , party boats , private charters considered as commercial ?

Is recreational the average angler fishing a lone on his boat , beach , with family for example . ? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, Drew C. said:

All charter and party boats are rec. 

yes thanks just wanted to make sure.  

there needs to be a re - classification and grouped together   
Boats going out 300 days a year  are not recreational  and making a living is $$$$ = Commercial 

It’s just my opinion the average recreational angler might help but  is not an impact on the fishery.  

Edited by Hook I

8 hours ago, rafolo said:

Wow. Gang up on the guy who is trying to understand the situation. Maybe I’m naive and care enough about the fishery to be careful about the way I fish and catch and release. Yes I have looked online. I now realize it is a shared issue. Then again I don’t throw a whole bunker on a 7/0 hook and wait till the striper swallows it to set the hook. As I only fly fish, I’ll admit, I was not aware  the guys with the meat sticks at the canal are fighting fish to exhaustion and are a big part of the problem. 

It has also been noted “online”

that the commercial fishery mismanagement has contributed to the problem as well. 

So you can call me “blind”, “uninformed” or a “killer of babies” as another poster has done. It’s easy to accuse and deflect the blame.  Maybe we are all part of the problem and if we work together we can improve the situation. 

That would require some degree of intelligence and cooperation and perhaps a little less childhood “name

calling”. 

It’s all of us.  Before anyone can’t point the finger at someone else they have to recognize their own impact.  It’s become far too common for C&R guys (especially on fly which is the group I fall into) to push the blame on everyone else.  It’s also become trendy for this same group to catch lots of micros aka babies.  Some studies are showing around 10% c&r mortality for even best release practices.  Granted it’s less impact than guys fishing j hooks with bait or multiple trebles on artificial.  The rec harvest accounts for around 75% of total harvest every year.  That’s just the harvest, the overall c&r mortality among rec anglers is absurd and what tackle we are allowed to use should be scrutinized to help solve this.  3 treble hooks on a lure or j hooks for bait being major contributors to the destruction of bass.  The party boats are ridiculous and need to be reclassified as comm or shut down.  The commercial guys do serious damage to the breeding stocks, but we are all contributing to this disaster.  I’m sure these guys aren’t trying to beat up on you but it’s frustrating for those of us that have been screaming at the top of our lungs for 10-15 years that it’s crashing!!!

9 hours ago, 27conch said:

And the answer to your recreational vs commercial landings..

AtlStripedBassLandings_2020.jpg

As stated at bottom of the table 9% mortality for released fish is a on assumption.   The challenge with all of this “data” is interpolation.  I know for a fact that some percentage of fish I release die.  Is it 9 %?  I don’t know.  Is that a reasonable assumption for projecting mortality  on an unregulated recreational fishing sector?  I don’t know that either.  What I do know a that you can spin the outcome based on the assumptions souses at the front end of these interpolations.  

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

yes thanks just wanted to make sure.  

there needs to be a re - classification and grouped together   
Boats going out 300 days a year  are not recreational  and making a living is $$$$ = Commercial 

It’s just my opinion the average recreational angler might help but  is not an impact on the fishery.  

They don’t belong in the comm category. They need their OWN category, with a hard cap and mandatory reporting. The for hire fleet (not all, there are some good ones (McMurray(sp...))) generally opposes any all calls for conservation. That’s really the best solution to the issue. 

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

They don’t belong in the comm category. They need their OWN category, with a hard cap and mandatory reporting. The for hire fleet (not all, there are some good ones (McMurray(sp...))) generally opposes any all calls for conservation. That’s really the best solution to the issue. 

That might be true in some views but if it involves being paid for.harvesting fish , shouldn’t that be commercial ?

what category would that label be ?  

5 mins ago, Hook I said:

That might be true in some views but if it involves being paid for.harvesting fish , shouldn’t that be commercial ?

what category would that label be ?  

“For hire”

it needs its own category. Plus the comma would cry a river if they were included and they would not be wrong. 

43 mins ago, Drew C. said:

“For hire”

it needs its own category. Plus the comma would cry a river if they were included and they would not be wrong. 

That’s sounds better It’s great to go back and forth on things like this because it’s where it might bring to the powers to be’s attention. Getting something done about SB recovery is very much needed , good talk