flyfishvt

Cape Cod fishing report/update

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

Just returned from our annual pilgrimage to the Cape.  Eight guys, 12th yr in a row...always big fun.

 

We stayed on Sagamore beach...new place to us but worked out well.  The first few days we fished our usual spots, north and south side beaches, west end of the canal, the Monomoy national refuge and a few unnamed estuaries.  Took me until the third day to get a bump...very few fish taken by the entire group.  Fished at night quite a bit and had some really good tides.  Finally got into a few fish over the last few days, but overall the fishing was just plain dismal.

 

I'm not a numbers guy but know that over the past three or four years, I'd guess that I caught 200-500 stripers  each year on this trip.  Don't think I made it to thirty this year....and of those, very few over 20".  Same for the rest of my pals.

 

Didn't see much bait at all.  We had pretty brisk NE winds the first few days and then S-SW for the last few.

 

Just don't get it...either the striper population has totally crashed or we're just the worst fly rodders on the planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Numbers and size are way down around the cape this year for most everyone. I am boat fishing and seeing the same thing with few exceptions. Did 100 miles on the boat Saturday morning and hardly saw a bird....not normal for this time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There way fewer fish and they seem to be concentrated in a small # of spots. This includes the whole NE area.  You can get a few big fish ,but it's not easy.  

We're in for a long haul out of this mess I'm afraid.  I'm old enough to have gone through the last time this happened.

If you read threads on this site you will hear of great nights from some,but those are the outliers I'm afraid.

I had a 40" fish the other AM and it was the only hit in 3 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah dismal is the best description. I was pretty optimistic early may to mid may. Had several 20-30 fish days with some healthy sea lice covered 20’s and 22’s and an occasional 25-27” fish. Also a couple of epic days on the cape catching 50-60 healthy fish blind casting and sight fishing.  Since the start of June I’ve had to work hard to catch a couple of fish if any. We had a super cold week followed by super hot. Has anyone heard from friends up the coast? Did the fish prematurely migrate north and just left this area. Let’s hope

they are out there but just “somewhere else”.  If it’s truly that the numbers are really depleted.....that would be dismal! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoeGBreezy said:
23 hours ago, rafolo said:

Yeah dismal is the best description. I was pretty optimistic early may to mid may. Had several 20-30 fish days with some healthy sea lice covered 20’s and 22’s and an occasional 25-27” fish. Also a couple of epic days on the cape catching 50-60 healthy fish blind casting and sight fishing.  Since the start of June I’ve had to work hard to catch a couple of fish if any. We had a super cold week followed by super hot. Has anyone heard from friends up the coast? Did the fish prematurely migrate north and just left this area. Let’s hope

they are out there but just “somewhere else”.  If it’s truly that the numbers are really depleted.....that would be dismal! 

Depleted and dismal...most places. 

And yet,you all still go out and try to put a beat-down on 'em,that effed up E coast mentality of "I gotta get mine cuz if I don't someone else will".Give 'em a break,will ya? How do you ever expect them to recover if you're beatin' on babies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I agree with fishing (all catch and release) as a pastime qualifies as being “f-ed” up or beating babies. I think we can blame the commercial fishery and lack of proper fisheries management for most of the problem. Not sport fisherman going out for leisure and releasing fish back into the sea. Can’t say the same for the commercial guys who kill thousands of tons of by catch every year. I think you ought to get your facts straight before chastising us nor’ easters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 3:09 PM, rafolo said:

Not sure I agree with fishing (all catch and release) as a pastime qualifies as being “f-ed” up or beating babies. I think we can blame the commercial fishery and lack of proper fisheries management for most of the problem. Not sport fisherman going out for leisure and releasing fish back into the sea. Can’t say the same for the commercial guys who kill thousands of tons of by catch every year. I think you ought to get your facts straight before chastising us nor’ easters. 

wow,you're so wrong bro,stats show it's the recs,not the comms puttin the bet down on the fish,you're entitled to your opinion but it's not fact based,just your opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 3:25 PM, treerat said:

Seals don’t help but that’s another argument I suppose.

not a valid argument,seals were here before we stepped in and screwed it all up

if seals were the reason bass would've been gone a long time ago

 ya'll must be comin in off the tavern or main page where facts don't matter but,rather,who can shout the loudest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 4:12 PM, Drew C. said:

Look at it this way - today’s crappy fishing will be tomorrow’s good’ol days. It only goes down from here. 
 

 

Nah,its just crappy fishin no matter how you cut it.

I remember running out to the coast ,fall and spring, and averaging 80-120 keeper+ bass(28-40+") for a weeks effort,no rats (what's getting called schoolies these days) counted in that.

Now-a-days ppl brag for catching 60,80,100 rats,holding them up or dragging them up on the sand for a "trohpy" shot,f'in pitiful...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 22/06/2020 at 6:17 PM, flyfishvt said:

Just returned from our annual pilgrimage to the Cape.  Eight guys, 12th yr in a row...always big fun.

 

We stayed on Sagamore beach...new place to us but worked out well.  The first few days we fished our usual spots, north and south side beaches, west end of the canal, the Monomoy national refuge and a few unnamed estuaries.  Took me until the third day to get a bump...very few fish taken by the entire group.  Fished at night quite a bit and had some really good tides.  Finally got into a few fish over the last few days, but overall the fishing was just plain dismal.

 

I'm not a numbers guy but know that over the past three or four years, I'd guess that I caught 200-500 stripers  each year on this trip.  Don't think I made it to thirty this year....and of those, very few over 20".  Same for the rest of my pals.

 

Didn't see much bait at all.  We had pretty brisk NE winds the first few days and then S-SW for the last few.

 

Just don't get it...either the striper population has totally crashed or we're just the worst fly rodders on the planet.

Flyfishvt,

 

I am surprised that you don’t get it. The fishery has been in serious decline for past ten years. I have fished the Cape for past ten years at least and on my first visit it did not live up to the catches reported by other Brit teams who came out two years before me.

The Striper has been over harvested for way too many years plus there are problems in the Chesepeake .

The latest management decisions do little to restore the resource to good health.
 

Not enough  Recs made a big enough noise to get the correct regs.

 

Time to move on. Denial will mean repeating the same.

 

It is sad but these are the facts.
 

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 still a great place to visit for a few days of fishing but it's time to move on if you don't live a hour or two drive to fish . The state of Massachusetts don't like / want out of state fisherman on their beaches ...but they do like our money $$$ , I'd rather go to Florida its a warmer welcome fishing community . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slip n slide. I’d like to see the statistics on recreational fisherman causing the demise of the striper fishery. It’s hard to believe that recreational fishermen (and women!) practicing catch and release are destroying the striper fishery as compared with large scale commercial overfishing. I’d love to see the facts if you can provide them. Otherwise you are simply presenting your “opinion” as compared with what you commented was my “opinion”. So send me the data please. I’ll look for data that supports my “opinion” as well. Funny that mass div of fish and game shut down commercial striper fishing in the canal. It would seem if the recreational fishermen were the problem, they’d shut down rec fishing and allow the commercial guys to clear out the canal. Strange?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.