Almost had to swim

Rate this topic

pogie_boy

7 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I recently read about "The Rule of Twelfths" and I'm glad I did.

"During the first hour, the water level rises by 1/12th of the total tidal range. In the second hour, it rises by an additional 2/12ths of the total. During the third and fourth hour, it rises by 3/12ths. Then the increase begins to slow down. In the fifth hour, the water only rises by 2/12ths, and in the sixth hour it rises by 1/12th. The pattern is 1,2,3,3,2,1."

--SailMagazine

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/understanding-the-rule-of-twelfths-for-tide-prediction

Applying this, we see that 1/4 of the total tide change occurs in the first two hours.  (1/12 + 2/12 = 3/12 = 1/4)

BUT, ONE HALF of the total tide change occurs in the following two hours!  (3/12 + 3/12 = 6/12 = 1/2)

A simple example, using figures that most easily illustrate the point, is a high tide of +10' and a low tide of -2' for a total tide range of 12'.  

You start out at low tide ("HOUR 0" below) and the depth change/hour --- cumulative depth change look like this:

HOUR --- DEPTH CHANGE/HOUR --- CUM. DEPTH CHANGE

0 --- 0 --- 0

1 --- 1' --- 1'

2 --- 2' --- 3'

3 --- 3' --- 6'

4 --- 3' --- 9'

5 --- 2' --- 11'

6 --- 1' --- 12'

HTH

Thats useful info!

It makes sense that tides accelerate and whatnot, but this puts it in useful context!

DITCH TROLL

2 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Thats useful info!

It makes sense that tides accelerate and whatnot, but this puts it in useful context!

For many folks, myself included, there's a BIG difference in realization when one goes from the qualitative ("Yah, I know it changes more quickly near the middle of the ebb/fill.") to seeing the numbers ("No chit!  The change in the third hour is the same as the first two hours frikkin combined?!  And the fourth is yet *another* three feet??!!").

I have many spots that I like to fish on the filling tide.  Since there's so little movement in the first hour after dead low, that means that I'll usually plan to start about an hour post dead low.  I don't know about you folks, but for me the first couple of hours fishing fly by, with or without action, so I'm at three hours into the fill, starting on the fourth hour, then recognize that not only is the tide now 1/2 way up, but the depth is increasing very quickly, so that by the end of my third hour of fishing (= four hours into the filling tide) the tide is up 75%!

The flip side of twelfths is also important to me, because some spots can be very productive from one to two+ hours into the ebb, but by the end of the third hour, what was a productive rip for a couple of hours has petered out into barely a seam.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Compass. Pin on to your wader strap. Great idea thanks. I had it always when hunting and used it frequently as it saved travel time besides straightening me out every now and then. 2 or 300 yards in thick fog might as well be 2 or 3 miles or possibly a lifetime! 

I’ve been way out on a sandbar at a river mouth at night on an incoming MOON tide and been almost swept away. I didn’t head back soon enough. Scary stuff and gave me much more respect and caution. I now only go out on an outgoing tide, Check moon phases for potentially lethal currents, as well as fog, etc. 

I really think on of those inflatable PFD belts is a good idea in a lot of situations.

No Bait. No Barbs. No Buckets.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:17 PM, pogie_boy said:

We actualy discussed maybe keeping a kiddie pool inner tube in a pouch or pocket of my waders.   
That's all that would have been needed to get me out dry!

... but then I'm also trolling for GWS!

Hope this is just nervous , thank god I made it, stuff. Do what “bird” suggests and get the pfd. A future is a terrible thing to waste......

43 mins ago, Tfole said:

Hope this is just nervous , thank god I made it, stuff. Do what “bird” suggests and get the pfd. A future is a terrible thing to waste......

yes, it was mostly in reaction to the fact that my buddy said he could almost have just hooked me with the end of his fishing pole I was that close.    I mentioned that it still wouldn't have kept me dry.     A self inflating PFD is on my short list of things to pick up.

DITCH TROLL