BrianBM

Fox tail hair as a substitute for marabou feathers.

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Colors aside, why not? The stuff breathes incredibly well.

I have some small ties in mind for fall little tunny, so eventually I will report. That said, somebody must've tried this before me. With what result?

I wouldn't say I'd substitute fox for marabou both have great movement . Your looking to run them in salt water I wouldn't be afraid to use fox. I wouldn't worry about using marabou either . The plus side for fox would be a more durable fly over marabou with less action . 

I would think length may be an issue - some marabou is much longer than the longest fox fur I've seen - but otherwise, I don't see why not.  I tie some redfish and tarpon patterns that could use either for the tail.

2 hours ago, JCH said:

I would think length may be an issue - some marabou is much longer than the longest fox fur I've seen - but otherwise, I don't see why not.  I tie some redfish and tarpon patterns that could use either for the tail.

Well if you're referring strictly to fox body hair, you're probably right. But fox tail hair is altogether different. I have quite a few pieces of arctic fox tail in various colors and just took a minute to measure the hair on a few and it reaches four inches. And it is very fine, well tapered hair. I also have quite a few pieces of temple fox (not a fox but a finnish raccoon, also called raccoon dog) and it's hair (also very fine) reaches over five inches.