JBreese1

BEST WIFE EVER / great birthday yesterday

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I replied to a post made by Old Hunter last Thurs.

His Post : Went out today and made my first sales calls in three months, drove down to the southern area on the coast.  Got done with my customers and stopped by a local tackle shop and a local gunshop.  A buddy of mine has started building a AR15 by buying a lower - I figured what the hell, I've wanted a M16A1 clone for years so I bought a lower and a lower parts & trigger kit.  The gunshop was loaded with black rifles, different uppers, different lowers, and every kind of part and parts kit you can imagine.  I'm thinking a copy of the M16A1 but use a slightly longer M16A2 length buttstock to account for my 35" sleeve length arms.  Already got an Ontario M-7 bayonet, new in the arsenal package.  Ought to be a pretty fun project.  Gotta find a source for MILSURP 20 round aluminum mags - all I was ever issued in the 1970's and 80's.  I figure if I'm going to try and recapture a bit of my youth this is much cheaper than a 67 GTO!  OH

My reply :

Old Hunter, Thanks for your service. I hate to piss on your parade, but I have been working on the same project since last Sept. You cannot find a correct 20" pencil barrel anywhere !! The original Colt uppers are available or exact copies and you can get original or retro furniture and parts. Getting a correct barrel has been my hold-up. Everybody has them as out of stock. I was on a waiting list from Sarco for 4 months, they had my money, then out of the blue they canceled my order. I do an daily internet search to no avail.  It is a cool project, but has been frustrating for me so far.

Jim

My post from yesterday evening :

UPDATE:  What a difference 2 days make. I have the BEST WIFE EVER and have had the best Birthday ever. My 59th Birthday was today and for a few months she kept asking what I wanted to do. I kept telling her I wanted to go to Space Farms Zoo and Museum [They have an extensive antique firearm collection and antique auto museum] then out to PA to Sarco to search for some gun parts. Unfortunately Space Farms was closed but the wife said lets take the ride out to PA anyway. I wasn't feeling well this morning and wanted to blow it off and stay home but she was very persistent about going. Bottom line, We arrive at Sarco's showroom and split up. I start browsing around and one of the counter guys asks "can I help you with anything?". I tell him my story about my botched order and ask if they have any of the original  Colt parts they had originally offered in kit form for building an retro M-16. He points to an box sitting on the counter and say's there is the complete kit. I lit up like a kid at Christmas. I then asked if they had any of the correct barrels. He reaches under the counter and slaps a barrel down. My wife breaks out her credit card and buys everything. She somehow managed to arrange to purchase all the parts I needed and have them hold them until today. We left Sarco, Went next door to Heritage firearms, then Cabellas, then the priority one military surplus store and finished up with a trip to Dixon Muzzleloading shop in Kempton PA for some old 1795 lock screws I need. We had a nice lunch in Kutztown then came home. I got to enjoy a nice long drive with a woman who truly loves me and would move heaven and earth to make me happy. She has been right there for me while putting up with all my health issue's for the past ten months without a single complaint.  I will post pic's of all the parts prior to assembly in a new thread soon.

Jim

retro M-16.jpg

I need that stock and can't find one. Just got off the phone with Sarco's and they said sorry, don't have one. Glad you got what you needed. Nothing like being at the right spot at the right time.

b4Loran, Royal Tiger Imports has 33 sets listed as in stock. They go for $99.00 apiece.  Just add an [.comm] to their name to get to their site. I have purchased from them in the past. Good company to do business with.

Jim