Beomurf

Probably a Stupid Question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Its been a long time since I kept a fish, and I may just be misremembering...

But is it lawful to continue to fish after you have decided to keep a fish (or max limit for species that have one)

So like if you catch a 30" striper and keep it, if you make another cast is that legal?

I seem to think it isn't but that might have been for trout and might have been when I lived in NH many many years ago.

Not a stupid question at all, and a frequently debated one.  

Technically you could be, depending on the EPO.   You've already kept one. So the next one you land, even if you intend to release it, puts you briefy in possession of two.

Conversely, let's say you keep one.  EPO says you're done.  You can say you're fishing for blues, togs, or scup, and the stripers are bycatch.

There's a lot of variables that may impact an EPOs decision, so YMMV.

12 mins ago, bob_G said:

Conversely, let's say you keep one.  EPO says you're done.  You can say you're fishing for blues, togs, or scup, and the stripers are bycatch.

There's a lot of variables that may impact an EPOs decision, so YMMV.

To be sure, the bluefishing excuse gets a lot of miles.

I think(?) brown shark surfcasters on the Cape use it, and some guys who fish SW Ledge outside the EEZ use it as well. There's actually a bass spot in NH that's a literal stones throw from the EEZ, and my friend was prepared to use the bluefish excuse this past Friday if he was boarded. Considering how scarce bluefish are off New Hampshire these days--even in late summer-- I told him I wasn't sure it would fly in mid June.

There's no stupid questions on this site........Just stupid people........Just kiddin' just kiddin.........We got a lot of smart folks here so ask away!........:)

If I tend to keep one I stop. I normally take ones I don’t think have high chance of survival(bleeders, gill hooked). My luck is I keep a healthy one and then have to release fish to die.

I would think bob and the epo theory is the correct, but unless written down it’s opinion. Growing up vt fishing was catch and stop.

You could continue to fish, as the laws for fishing do  not address this issue. (Interpretation is a moot point without some legal precedent to cite.) It would be a war of words as to what you think vs. what someone else thinks.

If they do put wording in to specify once you catch & keep you need to stop, you could use the bluefish defense but then they EPO could check your tackle to see if you are geared for blues, scup, sea bass, fluke or stripers and respond accordingly.

Of course with lack of sufficient manpower that will not happen.

For most it becomes a question of ethics, deciding which fish you would keep and if you want to keep fishing knowing you can't keep any more that trip.

Of course there's always the poaching route, and you could just keep everything you catch, you litter the area with your trash, and they eventually close that area due to your antics. (OK, the last section was a bit of a rant, but it did need saying).