bassmaster

Century rod question

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I have a 14000 ultegra reel

I have 20 lb jbraid 8 on 1 spool and

Max quarto or some crap 20 lb braid on another

This reel is huge for my 9.6 century 

Since im stuck with this thing and i think the 5500 out casts it,  i blew up the reel. Lasted 13 months haha.

Anyway,   i want to mate the reel to a longer rod that will actually cast a sp minnow a needle  and a bomber max didtance.

Any advise,   is there a century rod or odm or??  With out killing myself

Thanks 

That 14000 is a pretty big reel. Me personally I dont know if I would invest in a Century to match up with it. Most likely the century you would be looking at would run you 7 to 11 hundered bucks depending on what you get. I would probably choose to spend the money on a Lami Gen 2 Super Surf in either of the 10 foot models  1-3 or the 2-5 (a favorite of mine) and buy the 5500 reel. You would likely pay less for the combo than the century rod alone. And you could always dump the 14k and get back some money.  

But if you wanted a Century I would go for the 11'3 C2D HPR  its 1,150 bucks and a very nice rod. Is it worth it? it is if you paid for it.  

On 6/25/2020 at 3:00 PM, Big Dave said:

But if you wanted a Century I would go for the 11'3 C2D HPR  its 1,150 bucks and a very nice rod. Is it worth it? it is if you paid for it.  

I think Century C2-D (Command & Control Distance) comes in 13ft only. 

Own a 11’ S-2 and that throws an sp really well. Even though it’s a 2-5oz. A SS or weapon all in the tallers sizes would do well.

Isn't there a rod built for that reel and the sp?

Also that size reel would really benefit from a custom rod. There are plenty of options 3/4-4oz mojo/legend that would satisfy you.

On 6/25/2020 at 5:00 PM, Big Dave said:

I wouldn’t buy a +1000.00 rod that’s not close to the sp rating. Those are more competition/bait rods. Guess like my 2-5 that throw a sp well, it could theoretically do the same.

Thanks, i do have a 5500 ultegra,  but waiting on it being repaired,   i tossedthe 14k on my 1323 and it launches  pencle poppers.

Just thought there  would be a 11 footer to toss  bombers.

Rod numbas would be great but dunno if there is a rod for that low weight to hum out there 

8 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Mahigo No. They come in 3 lengths 11’3”,  12’, and 13‘ versions. 

Big Dave,

No, C2D is 13ft only. 

Please check the video above the Century rep said clearly to me: Surf Machine and C2D. 

You can choose the guides but the length of the rod is 13ft. 

Can you please send me a link for that please?

Mahigo.   I’m sorry but I know what I’m talking about. You can go to the advanced fishing USA website and see for yourself. That and the fact I was the northeast distributor of Century rods for several years before giving it up a few years ago. I fish with an 11’3. C2D. They are exceptional plugging rods. They are pricy and the cost is a factor for most. But they are one of the nicest rods I’ve fished. I don’t own the 12 or 13. I just don’t have the need for rods that long. 

1 hour ago, bassmaster said:

So what long rod throws a bomber or sp a mile.

Define a mile.

I know that sounds trite, but an SP will only go so far; weight and shape count against it.

What would you make you happy distance wise?

For arguments sake, in a field under ideal conditions.

Distance is all relative. From Century I like the Ss1145 SS1265, Surfmachine 11,3” C2D 11’3”, and the S2 stealth 11’  all I think throw the SP very well.

But I also like the following Lami’s as well. The Super Surf Gen 1 1201L and the and the 1321mh. As well the there Gen 2 models in the same length and weights. 

8 mins ago, Big Dave said:

Distance is all relative. From Century I like the Ss1145 SS1265, Surfmachine 11,3” C2D 11’3”, and the S2 stealth 11’  all I think throw the SP very well.

But I also like the following Lami’s as well. The Super Surf Gen 1 1201L and the and the 1321mh. As well the there Gen 2 models in the same length and weights. 

Agreed that it is relative

This was my point Dave; OP might be delerious with joy at 70 yards or might want to achive a distance that is unrealistic... it's why I asked what he wants to achieve.

if he comes back saying he wants150 yards.... erm no.

With a bomber i aint getting that kind of distance.

But what o want to know is i got that big reel what long rod would pair up  for light stuff.

I had this 14k on my 1322 it slams a pencle way out

Had it on my century 11 footer thats 3 to 7 and hums

Yet i can out the 5500 the 1322 and it tosses sp not to bad.

Just would like a long rod for minimal effort to get max range  with 14k

I have so many rods 

Maybe ill try it on a 120 1L. But i use to eel wth that rod only back in the day

3 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Define a mile.

I know that sounds trite, but an SP will only go so far; weight and shape count against it.

What would you make you happy distance wise?

For arguments sake, in a field under ideal conditions.

You know never measure,  but sw wind here at my back reall takes them out.  I cant make sense of century web site.   Longest rod for lighter stuff with that 14k, if not ill destroy it in the canal

The Surfmaster or the C2  Or even the SS1327  would be really good choices if your fishing the canal. All throw the ranges of plugs used there. Although the 1327 with graphene is a bit stiffer than the original 1327 with more of a J curve. While the other 2 are a little more moderate. But all match up well with your reel. I no longer demo my personal rods but I’m sure there is a rep around that would let you have a go with the ones I’ve mentioned.