Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Red headed sparrow

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Maybe I am just wrong, but I don't remember seeing a them around. Maybe I just never saw them before and they've been a residence here in MA. 

For the span of 2 days I thought I saw someone's lovebird flying around since their head is so distinct. Then I saw another one at my friend's house. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

You mean this? It's likely a house finch, pretty common inland anyway.

house_finch.jpg

Yes. Exactly this. I lived in MA for 30 years. I don't ever recall seeing them anywhere. Plenty of regular brown sparrows. I love birds and I usually take notice if I see one.

Just the past 2 days I starts seeing them. Which makes me look like I am crazy..... 

Edited by foxfai

I have them at my feeders as we speak.  Very common bird here on the Cape, but that wasn't always the case.   We moved here in '79, and seeing one was a rare  occurrence. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I have them at my feeders as we speak.  Very common bird here on the Cape, but that wasn't always the case.   We moved here in '79, and seeing one was a rare  occurrence. 

Exactly! I google them up and they are a foreign species until the 1900s, then they populated the western and eastern seaboard. But then I think to myself, how many time I've seen a red headed one?

The red headed ones are the males. They are a house finch, brought to the east coast from California, as I was told by our resident birdman. I have 5 or 6 on my feeder at one time at times. My cat killed a female the other day, his first confirm kill. :D 

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

You mean this? It's likely a house finch, pretty common inland anyway.

house_finch.jpg

Agree. I’m also in Mass and they are regulars at my feeders on most days.

Must confess sometimes I have to study the bird a bit as the house finch and purple finch can throw me but as others note the house finch tends to be more common.

I wish we saw more purple finches than the more common house finch. They have a lot more red on them and even some maroon/purple.