AllNighter

North Shore LI Fishing Kayak rental for all of July

6 posts in this topic

Hi all - Been ages since I've logged on, been fishing less these days with the occasional trip here and there given work and family. 

I'm renting a house for all of July on the north shore of long island near port jefferson and have been searching around for a place or someone that would do a fishing kayak drop off/pick at the house i'm renting. Looking for a fishing kayak with pedals. I would be renting the kayak for the entire month. Any thoughts, suggestions would be much appreciated! thanks in advance

Try calling Capt Kayak over in Sayville. They rent kayaks and are a Hobie dealership. Ask for Kate, she’s the store manager and knows best.

Good luck!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would consider buying outright. I am no where near your area, but around here, kayaks rent for $40-$50/day for inexpensive bottom line singles. That's $1200-$1500/month. You could get a nice package deal on a much nicer  new kayak for that amount. Many online dealers have free delivery, just have it shipped to your rental. Even if you gave it away at the end of the month, you'll have had a much nicer kayak then renting for the same money. In late July/early August you could recoup half your money with a very quick cash sale. Or buy a roof rack and have a kayak in perpituity. 

Edited by wok167

Racerx - spoke with Kate the other day. thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately they aren't renting any kayaks at the moment. 

Wok167 - thanks, very helpful. I came to the same realization after calling a handful of places last week. the house i'm renting does have a couple kayaks but I'll find out if they are suitable at all for what I want to do. And if not, I think i'll think i'll just buy one and use it for the month as you suggested and sell it later (I live in NYC and really no place to store it) or maybe leave it a friend's house for safe keeping and use it in the future. 

If you’d care to take a ride to Sussex County NJ, I’ll loan you a hobie for that time and just ask you to make a donation to our local Scout troop.  The troop is hurting with the loss of our primary fundraiser this year due to COVID and I have a boat I can do without for the month.  Win win.    I have a few good paddle kayaks as well, rigged to fish. 

2nd buying used outright. You could easily pick up a couple of decent paddle yaks for $1200, and then sell them at the end of your stay, guessing for close to what you paid. Check out FB Marketplace