Angler #1

Having Patience when the fish decide to not show

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Certainly wouldn't have wanted to be the guys fishing downtide from that.

ezgif-3-f83ea0cc2af1.gif.34af0b821b658b2134812b51f6acf369.gif

Tough to hold on to your jig for 45min while fish are on the bite. 

(And it's not like you can simply pack up and move up to a new spot, considering the picket fence crowds nowadays) So you're stuck in a holding pattern til the guy lands his slob.

A 50 lb fish that wasn't weighed, whether by scale before release or wasted in front of Red Top, isn't worth mentioning as a 50 lb fish. Strictly my personal opinion but I've held enough fish and thought they were "the one" before I weighed them prior to release that I know better at this point. I've weighed and released a bunch of 40's and often times the monster 50" fish come in at 37lbs, +/-

23 mins ago, East Tide said:

A 50 lb fish that wasn't weighed, whether by scale before release or wasted in front of Red Top, isn't worth mentioning as a 50 lb fish. Strictly my personal opinion but I've held enough fish and thought they were "the one" before I weighed them prior to release that I know better at this point. I've weighed and released a bunch of 40's and often times the monster 50" fish come in at 37lbs, +/-

The tricky thing with bass at the upper end of their length range is that they seem to stop gaining much length each year, instead gaining more bulk with increasing age. So the weight difference among fish in the 48-50+ inch zone can be dramatic. 

I've caught fish on mono that have taken easy thirty minutes to fight . Big swell ,big rocks and a big fish takes time to get in.  My longest in canal was about same Time with braid and a Stella 10000 . Didn't weight it but it measured just over 54" . Next two casts were high f ourties that took ten to fifteen minutes. Every fish is different and so to are the anglers.  I remember a sea herring blitz I passed my rod off because I couldn't feel my arms anymore. Whether it was 25 or 45 minutes who ducking cares.  I can cast pretty far and I've had big fish hit before I've even cranked the handle and those fish take forever to get in. Sometimes the big girls hit ten feet away and thirty seconds later a thirty is in the bubbleweeds. I dropped back a jig way to far one night looking for that whack and when it did hit I had about 250 yards of braid out. I almost died getting that twenty in. 

6 hours ago, Budlightyear said:

I've caught fish on mono that have taken easy thirty minutes to fight . Big swell ,big rocks and a big fish takes time to get in.  My longest in canal was about same Time with braid and a Stella 10000 . Didn't weight it but it measured just over 54" . Next two casts were high f ourties that took ten to fifteen minutes. Every fish is different and so to are the anglers.  I remember a sea herring blitz I passed my rod off because I couldn't feel my arms anymore. Whether it was 25 or 45 minutes who ducking cares.  I can cast pretty far and I've had big fish hit before I've even cranked the handle and those fish take forever to get in. Sometimes the big girls hit ten feet away and thirty seconds later a thirty is in the bubbleweeds. I dropped back a jig way to far one night looking for that whack and when it did hit I had about 250 yards of braid out. I almost died getting that twenty in. 

Bud there in lies some of the varables when battling a fish of size in different types of water conditions and how far away from you was it when it hit. As you have posted above. I have hung large fish myself in close that the drag could not stop, nor did it matter as long as I had the line tight I could let it run, and tire it out or I could have put the boots to it with the rod and taken the chance of saying bye bye. I have hung fish at the end of the cast that have taken me down to the bottom before I could engage the spool and depending upon where that may be it could be a 30 foot space of water or more depending upon if I was in the canal or one place on the outer beach . In about every case when I have hung a fish of size and they get to the bottom before I can engage the spool the fish gets hung on something and it begins a tug of war in an attempt to get free. the fish generally wins in those cases. One just never knows the fight you are about to been engaged in until you set the hook . Do you stop a running fish or do you let it go under pressure from the drag or do you let it go from the pressure from the rod only / Those decisions are why we fish. That is why a long time ago I have decided to use a leather pouched rod holder, It allowed me to have more control while undergoing a battle with a large fish and still at the end of the fight have something left in the tank to walk away breathing. Peace and Prayers

for me it takes more patience to listen or read a fish story than it does to land a large bass.i have seen and caught enough bass to knolw what one weighs with out having to use a scale. In the 10 years I worked at Nelsons I was never off by more than a lb or 2 estimating the weight of a bass before weighing it.i have caught big bass from the beach, from the inlets of LI from the rocks of Montauk,to the canal and the sand beachs of the cape,from a boat and a kayak,to take 3/4 of an hour is just plain old story telling at its worst.years ago there was a place that friends fished a rocky river where 50 lb fish were the norm,and quite afew fish that were difinitly record breakers were caught,and none of them ever told stories of long fights

34 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

for me it takes more patience to listen or read a fish story than it does to land a large bass.i have seen and caught enough bass to knolw what one weighs with out having to use a scale. In the 10 years I worked at Nelsons I was never off by more than a lb or 2 estimating the weight of a bass before weighing it.i have caught big bass from the beach, from the inlets of LI from the rocks of Montauk,to the canal and the sand beachs of the cape,from a boat and a kayak,to take 3/4 of an hour is just plain old story telling at its worst.years ago there was a place that friends fished a rocky river where 50 lb fish were the norm,and quite afew fish that were difinitly record breakers were caught,and none of them ever told stories of long fights

Maybe the 45 minute fight time is true and maybe they were using this for a rod. :point:

3F5576CD-BC65-40D7-8ED8-B62BFFFC14CD.jpeg

yes a good fish story always enjoyable,but at least make it somewhat believeable.to those that have been at it all their lives its almost insulting our inteeligence

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

yes a good fish story always enjoyable,but at least make it somewhat believeable.to those that have been at it all their lives its almost insulting our inteeligence

Let me tell you what happened to me deer hunting in Vermont, Towards the end of the season I was on a stand and along came an 8 pointer sneaking through the brush.  I had one shot and that was to shoot at a flat rock hoping the shot would be deflected and hit the deer.....well it worked!!!!!!!!!! my .270 hit that buck in the chest and destroyed his heart.  That deer took off and ran uphill through chest deep powder snow for over THREE miles before I found him.  The best part was he grew two more tines on each side during the chase and was now a 12 pointer.

And that's the gospel truth...…………...

Edited by b-ware
speelin was rong.........

1 hour ago, z-man said:

Maybe the 45 minute fight time is true and maybe they were using this for a rod. :point:

3F5576CD-BC65-40D7-8ED8-B62BFFFC14CD.jpeg

Hey, dont knock Barbie.

She's a tough lady that lands big fish.

Here's Barbie puttin the screws to a 40" bull red in four minutes 

20 mins ago, rst3 said:

Hey, dont knock Barbie.

She's a tough lady that lands big fish.

Here's Barbie puttin the screws to a 40" bull red in four minutes 

I highly recommend that rod and reel combo, Spiderman version for the boys or the Sponge Bob is ok for both...…………..

2 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Li fish I posted this story as it was related to me by some one who could probably match your idea of what a fish may be with out putting it on a scale . That is not the point however for you to remark that it is not believable is your opinion , but than your not questioning all of circumstances he had to over come before he could beach any of the five fish he caught and landed that night  After working his lure for a few hours without a touch and than all hell brought loose doing what he was doing. No one insulted your intelligence as far as I can see here in this post as it was related to me the morning after. Time is  a matter of guess work and if some one tells you something took 1/2 and hour or 3/4 of an hour it is just an expression of his idea of what the clock may have read after he hooked up and actually landed the fish, size or no size. Speaking for myself I am not only a good judge oft weight , if I am out catching and weighing some to get how much feed they may have been working on , but in this case the one fish taken for supper, was completely and totally empty. I am also a good judge of time if I had the time to reference it from .     All I am doing is related something that I believe , [knowing who I am dealing with] does not tell fish stories is an honest person with nothing to gain from relating this account above like myself also not having any concerns. You can believe it or not that is your prerogative and I will leave it at that Again no one is insulting any ones intelligence , Just for the record . It was a post to read or not read, comment or not  Peace and Prayers    

About 12 years ago I hooked a 32 lber in the ditch (my first 30+) and my drag was tight but not locked. It was a high current spot and the thing just kept going and going. When I realized I was going to get spooled I cupped the spool, ended up ~10 light poles down current and was shocked that it was only 30, not 40 or 50. That fight lasted a long time. If you asked me the next day I would have maybe said 45 minutes. Of course I have no idea how long it really took.

6 hours ago, b-ware said:

Let me tell you what happened to me deer hunting in Vermont, Towards the end of the season I was on a stand and along came an 8 pointer sneaking through the brush.  I had one shot and that was to shoot at a flat rick hoping the shot would be deflected and hit the deer.....well it worked!!!!!!!!!! my .270 hit that buck in the chest and destroyed his heart.  That deer took off and ran uphill through chest deep powder snow for over THREE miles before I found him.  The best part was he grew two more tines on each side during the chase and was now a 12 pointer.

And that's the gospel truth...…………...

Can i ask what a flat rick is?