Angler #1

Having Patience when the fish decide to not show

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I received a nice call this more as a good friend on mine relates his nights fishing at an undisclosed location. The first fish took him about an half hour to finally bring in a fish close to 48 inches in size. After releasing his fish of size he latches into another  one this a little shorter high 30 inch range along with another in the same length. The next fish was  just right for recreational length 33 to 34 inches, Now this one he takes for supper today. He make a few more casts before he is tight with another great fish of size, Every time he puts the rod to the fish it takes off and gave him a battle  like non of the others. The fish would gain a little and then he would gain a littel and after almost 3/4 of hour he is finally able to see the massive size of the fish  and is able to slide the fish from the water onto the sand. He did not take to measuring it as he had fought a battle royal and did not want to kill the fish which he releases for another time .   In His best judgment that the fish was al least a 50 lb or a little better, some thing that comes from landing fish of this size gives you a nice perspective that he was fairly close in his estimate. My friend took the time to get his line and lure ,  put in the patience  and winds up with a memorial night he can recall for the rest of the year and even years to come . This is where patience matters and the expertise once hooked to make the catch Peace and Prayers for those who endeavor to get out and test the sea gods, you never know where it will take you

5 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

I received a nice call this more as a good friend on mine relates his nights fishing at an undisclosed location. The first fish took him about an half hour to finally bring in a fish close to 48 inches in size. After releasing his fish of size he latches into another  one this a little shorter high 30 inch range along with another in the same length. The next fish was  just right for recreational length 33 to 34 inches, Now this one he takes for supper today. He make a few more casts before he is tight with another great fish of size, Every time he puts the rod to the fish it takes off and gave him a battle  like non of the others. The fish would gain a little and then he would gain a littel and after almost 3/4 of hour he is finally able to see the massive size of the fish  and is able to slide the fish from the water onto the sand. He did not take to measuring it as he had fought a battle royal and did not want to kill the fish which he releases for another time .   In His best judgment that the fish was al least a 50 lb or a little better, some thing that comes from landing fish of this size gives you a nice perspective that he was fairly close in his estimate. My friend took the time to get his line and lure ,  put in the patience  and winds up with a memorial night he can recall for the rest of the year and even years to come . This is where patience matters and the expertise once hooked to make the catch Peace and Prayers for those who endeavor to get out and test the sea gods, you never know where it will take you

Sounds awesome.  Only question i have is 45 minutes to bring a bass in.  What does his setup look like.  

9 hours ago, Goldy said:

Sounds awesome.  Only question i have is 45 minutes to bring a bass in.  What does his setup look like.  

I can tell you he uses old style conventional rod and reel and had years experiences on how to play big fish . Peace and Prayers

45 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

I can tell you he uses old style conventional rod and reel and had years experiences on how to play big fish . Peace and Prayers

Come to think about it, I don’t think I ever fought a 50+ pound fish for more than 45 seconds. 

38 mins ago, ged said:

Come to think about it, I don’t think I ever fought a 50+ pound fish for more than 45 seconds. 

All the fish that come off were 50's to me too!  :laugh:

14 mins ago, TLap21 said:

All the fish that come off were 50's to me too!  :laugh:

“Bob the Garbage Man”

1 hour ago, TLap21 said:

45 minutes for a Striped Bass is absolutely ridiculous to me.  

Yup. Maybe 4 minutes and 50 seconds is the real time. Sounds like a fish story to me. 

6 hours ago, ged said:

What you do is get a pair of vice grips, and turn the knob on your reel until it doesn't turn anymore, and boom, done, you're striper fishing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Assuming arguendo (Carl, no need to say yes or no) that this fish was in a strong Canal current, does the story become more plausible? I've never caught a bass above 30 myself, and never in good current.

Edited by BrianBM

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Assuming arguendo (Carl, no need to say yes or no) that this fish was in a strong Canal current, does the story become more plausible? I've never caught a bass above 30 myself, and never in good current.

Brian I have caught fish very close to the 50 pound mark from the outer beaches where In some cases It took several long and short runs before it was beached . You can never plan for off water vortex surges and storm surges running parallel to a beach, generating forces you need to understand in landing fish of size. That is why in another time we often would use 8 or 10 ounces [storm weights] to keep an eel on the bottom or a nice chunk or even a clump of sea worms on a hook

That's more than I care to throw. Six ounces of lead and bait are fine. More than that, it feels like work. Like other posters, I do wonder at the 45 minutes .... but then again, the former record striper, Al McReynolds' fish on a Jersey jetty, supposedly took two hours.*

* assuming that this is true, on which I have no opinion, I suspect that the time has more to do with the difficulties of landing a big fish on a  jetty and in a gale than it does with the fishes' power.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

That's more than I care to throw. Six ounces of lead and bait are fine. More than that, it feels like work. Like other posters, I do wonder at the 45 minutes .... but then again, the former record striper, Al McReynolds' fish on a Jersey jetty, supposedly took two hours.*

* assuming that this is true, on which I have no opinion, I suspect that the time has more to do with the difficulties of landing a big fish on a  jetty and in a gale than it does with the fishes' power.

Brian,

A few year ago I caught and released a 44" fish on my 12wt fly rod in the canal. Fish was caught on a full running west tide. From hook up to release was definitely under 10 minutes. With several long runs taking me well into my backing.

Now granted, not a 50 pounder, but I think it does put some perspective on landing time.