Captain Ahab

Crushing your barbs

20 posts in this topic

I crush my barbs on all my hooks.  Fresh, salt, fly, conventional.  I personally have not noticed an increased drop rate but I know people who borrow my gear sometimes have a harder time landing fish.  Others don't so I've concluded it is not the barbless hook that is the problem but their technique.

I crush all barbs for freshwater and replace trebles with singles where I can. I think with smallies and fish that jump, singles hold better than trebles. I may be wrong though.

IMO, a crushed single will be just as effective as a barbed single. Same as saltwater, just keep a bend in the rod at all times. To be honest with you, I'm much more aware of keeping pressure on the fish now and I actually drop less fish now than before. 

34 mins ago, kayaknshore said:

I crush all barbs for freshwater and replace trebles with singles where I can. I think with smallies and fish that jump, singles hold better than trebles. I may be wrong though.

IMO, a crushed single will be just as effective as a barbed single. Same as saltwater, just keep a bend in the rod at all times. To be honest with you, I'm much more aware of keeping pressure on the fish now and I actually drop less fish now than before. 

I agree and am goid at keeping the rod bent.  I worry about very long casts and jumpting fish especially with topwater plugs. 

Gonna begin crushing all

I too have been replacing trebles with single hooks and crushing barbs lately.

I find I am getting less hook sets then I did with trebles, but the fish I do hook are landed most of the time. I think part of my issue is finding the right size single hook to replace the trebles. Hook removal is easier with th ebarbs crushed and I will be doing it to all of my hooks from now on.

I don’t crush the barbs on my bass gear. It seems so easy for them to shake a hook when they get to the surface. I tried crushing the barb for wacky rigging senkos. I lost a lot of fish. Perhaps trebles are a different story. 

All of my fresh and saltwater flies are barbless. Most of the water I fish for trout are barbless only anyway. Even still, I’d go barbless regardless of the rules. It’s easier to stay tight with a fly rod than it is with bait casting gear. 

I've been in my second year going completely barbless . No real regrets so for . You just gotta do your part keeping a tight line . Bladed jigs and spinnerbaits ect. out side of the mouth can get iffy when they jump and do a lot of head shaking . One great thing is now I don't fear throwing plugs and unhooking them anymore . Haven't stuck myself bad yet been nicked a bit and came right out .I wish I had crushed them all years a go .

Barbs for meat, mashed for release.

Definitely drop more fish with mashed barbs, that's fine with me.

Sickle style hooks (big river bait) help keep them pinned when fishing barbless. I never use "barbless" hooks, prefer to mash them. I also find it helpful to keep the barbless gear separate.

I have been crushing down my barbs for 3 decades in FW and in the beginning I didn't have enough steady preasure on the line and had fish spit the hook on a jump .Some of the water where I fish there are regs that state you can only use barbless . One place I fish is only single hook lures . I find it more challenging to land big fish with barbless lures whether it is single or treble hooks .

I have also gone to single hook barbless where I can .

I do it to get hooks out of me easier too .

It ALL depends on the size of the hook , I'm not going to crush the barb on a 3/0 -5/0 hook the fish will never swallow it NOW if i'm Wacky style or Drop Shot Yes ! the hook is smaller and its more of a nibble bite and sometimes its difficult to feel it , Keep the light tight and don't bow to the fish they will stay on . 

I've been mashing down barbs for many years, and cannot say that I've lost many fish strictly because of a mashed barb. 

We all lose some fish with hooks that have barbs, it's part of fishing and there can be various reasons for it. 

IMO, hooks with sharp points and the barb mashed or removed, penetrate easier, and are easier to remove, from both the fish and our anatomy if we happen to get impaled. To me, which has not happened to me, that's the best reason to mash down or remove a barb.

The fact is, barbs do not hold fish on a hook. They're held by line tension and against the hook bend. There's no way to prevent them from tossing a hook occasionally, so I'm OK with that.

When a hook with a barb penetrates, it opens a larger hole than if the barb is removed first, so which way will have the biggest negative impact on keeping a fish hooked, a larger hole in the fish, or the lack of the barb? 

Studies have been done, but I've yet to see a mashed down barb have any great affect on not landing fish. No more or less than before I started mashing barbs, except that I think I pay more attention now to keeping tension on the line once a fish is hooked. 

Edited by Jim H

I mashed the barbs on my topwater the other night.  Lost three fish as i was lifting them from the water which is fine by me.  all were small

Landed 4 larger (3lb) range bass just fine.  Lot easier to get the treble out for a faster release

About the same results as i get with stripers.

My concern was with the jumping of the fish but that posed not problem.  And yes several went airborn after being hooked