Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Thomas

TICKS!!

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Okay, yesterday went freshwater fishing (sorry gang, was suffering from withdrawls!) and came out with 5..yes 5 ticks crawling up my jeans. Just finished mowing the lawn and felt something crawling up my leg. Yup...3 more on the move for higher ground wink.gif These things are brutal this year!!

Saltheart, did I read somewhere that you got a shot or something to deter lyme disease?? That is what I'm most afraid of is that Lyme stuff!!

Beware folks, these things are out in force this year!

Have a safe, happy and lineside filled 4th!!

------------------

Bob Thomas

RThomas61@aol.com

Got a geat tick preventive measure. Tuck your pants into your socks while in grass or the woods. Ticks can only crawl up, so this prevents them from getting on your skin.. at least for a little while. Check often and you will be ok.

The warmest parts on your body is what they seek. Check just before taing a bath. This includes Armpits too. <- Most overlooked part of the body for ticks. Also Have some one check your hair. I keep my hair very short, so it is easy for some one to take a look. If you have longer hair, make sure the looker looks real good!

There are Lyme Diese shots made to prevent it, but I suggest talking to your doctor about it. It only works for a certain percentage of people and you have to be in good health.

Hope this helped some!

[This message has been edited by BassHunter (edited 06-30-2000).]

Bob, the Lyme disease vaccinations are a good idea. Several outdoor shows had booths where you could be vaccinated last winter. Lyme disease is borne by the deer tick, which is a very small tick, only a little bigger than the period at the end of this sentence. The ticks that you probably picked up freshwater fishing are most likely dog or wood ticks. They are a lot bigger--especially the females which can be the size of a kernel of corn. When engorged with blood, they can swell even bigger. They don't carry Lyme disease, but they can carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. The biggest danger they pose is an infection if you fail to remove all of the head when you pry them out. I had it happen to me once.

I saw a post by eelman on John R's board today that a deer tick has to be embedded for the better part of a day before they can transmit Lyme disease. I guess it takes them that long to draw a pool of blood to the skin surface.

ya they are really bad this year. Couple points I've picked up on and they may be true or just rumor.

deer ticks are small. I just picked three off the dog and did not realize how small they are they are very difficult to see.

I've been told by my doc a few years ago that you only need to be bitten by a deer tick to get lyme disease. If you do find a deer tick on you mark the area with a pen and check it in a few days. one of the first signs is a red circular rash where you were bit. Most of the other symtoms I know of are flu like in nature. Not all deer ticks carry lyme disease. I've heard the number 1 in 10 tossed around a few times.

The vaccination is only about 90% effective. so in my opinion why get it. Its a series of three shots and I'm told they are painfull. I hate shots eek.gif I'll just check myself after every outdoor outing.

Dogs can and do get it. Waiting for the results from the blood test.(I didn't think animals got it).

I saw a program the other day that indicated that a cold winter followed by a wet spring leads to high numbers of ticks. Sounds like the year we just had. I was always under the impression that cold winters keep their numbers down?

Like I said before I really can't confirm this info. some of it is fact some maybe just rumor. I'm sure as time passes more info will be obtained from the scientific community about the ticks and the disease. One thing for sure if you think tim hates bluefish, I hate ticks twice as much. They are little nasty rat bastages.

My 8 yr old daughter was sick with a low fever and joint pain for two weeks before they finally diagnosed her with Lyme Disease this week. Never saw the tick or the bullseye rash. BEWARE.

My wife, Tammy, is on IV antibiotics now after a three year fight with Lyme disease. Our "anniversary" with Lyme is July 7th, when she first got diagnoesed. There was no bullseye rash and we never found a single tick on her. She's been out of work as much as she's been employed over those 3 years and the times she WAS at work were brutal for her. Severe fatigue, pyschological problems, neurological problems, loss of feeling in limbs, joint pain and a host of other nasty symptoms accompany this nasty disease.

Evidence indicates that it takes over 24 hours to contract the disease from a deer tick but many of the medical studies on Lyme have been dead wrong, so you can't believe everything you hear or read. There are expected to be over a million confirmed cases this year and I hope no one here (or their families) will be part of that number.

Tim, our beloved webmaster, has had lyme disease, too, although he seems to be faring well, now. It wasn't a picnic for him, either. As for the Lymerics vaccine... it's questionable in effectiveness and can backfire, so I'm ambivalent about it. Most people seem to do OK after getting vaccinated. It just sucks to have permanent side effects if you're one of the minority that get's lyme-like symptoms from the vaccine. Those that promote the vaccine will most likely downplay that aspect. There is a plethora of Lyme information on the internet with Lyme support groups, case stories and information that you'll never get from the medical community.

The advice given above about prevention is very accurate. Tuck in pants, examine all body parts very, very carefully, wear white clothing so it's easier to spot the little buggers, use insect repellant.

Dammmm, just got word from the vet my dog has lyme disease. So it sounds like I'll get some first hand experiance with lyme disease. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by jc (edited 07-03-2000).]

FYI;There is a large,very informative article in today's New York Times Science section on Deer ticks and Lyme disease transmission.I will hang on to it and if anyone wants a copy let me know.