gellfex

Anybody use "bone conduction" headphones on the water?

11 posts in this topic

I hate earbuds and think they're an especially bad idea on the water where you want to hear approaching powerboats.  I'm looking at some waterproof "bone conduction" headphones to use on the boat, mostly for books and podcasts to make a slow day or long paddle go faster. I used to have an MP3 player in a waterproof and cheap over the ear phones but the damn bag always leaked. Some of these are bluetooth and some have built in mp3 players. Anybody with experience? They seem too good to be true.

I just received a pair of airpods (previous generation) as a FD gift and these are awesome. I used to have "wireless" headphones with a wire between them but these are def a step forward. Plus you can hear ambient noises. Highly recommended.

No earbuds here, but music on the yak is a game changer. I have an old sacrificial IPhone with free Spotify tunes downloaded on to it, so no service or signal is needed! My Horizon handheld VHF recieves FM if I want radio. 

7 hours ago, mike_h said:

Waterproof bluetooth speaker is your friend. I listen to stern/other talk radio while I fish and can still hear anything around me.

I don't know where Id put it, and I really like wearing headphones,  I use them whenever I watch TV alone.

I’ve used them quite a bit. I wore them in the office at work a lot. They were convenient. However, even though they do not pluck sound from your ears, your brain tends to focus on one or the other; the music, or the ambient sounds from the environment. Sometimes the phone would be ringing right next to me and I would t hear it. And the louder I turned up the volume in the headphones, the more intense the sound/vibrations and it would feel like it’s rattling my brain. 

Frankly, I prefer to use my phone or my Bluetooth speaker when I’m fishing. 

6 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

I’ve used them quite a bit. I wore them in the office at work a lot. They were convenient. However, even though they do not pluck sound from your ears, your brain tends to focus on one or the other; the music, or the ambient sounds from the environment. Sometimes the phone would be ringing right next to me and I would t hear it. And the louder I turned up the volume in the headphones, the more intense the sound/vibrations and it would feel like it’s rattling my brain. 

Frankly, I prefer to use my phone or my Bluetooth speaker when I’m fishing. 

I think everyone's brain works differently in this respect. I've worked with people who don't hear what people on the radio are saying, I'll laugh at something and they go "what?" One ADD case said he could put a CD on repeat all day and never notice! I also usually listen to books or pods rather than music, there's more "open air" to hear external stuff.

I prefer not to take my phone if possible, the one I've ordered has a built in mp3, we'll see if that works. What do you guys use to protect your phones? I've seen some guys use nothing! I've used those glorified ziplocs with the hard plastic closure, they're a pain, especially to use the power or volume buttons.

Chris Rock once quipped he always carried two cellphones......one for music and one for an emergency.

I took this to heart.....literally and figuratively.

I like to use a JBL Clip 3 with Bluetooth.    Instead of using the Bluetooth on the water, I plug it into a MP3 player to save the battery on my phone. 

Those Bone speaker's do look interesting though.   

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

I think everyone's brain works differently in this respect. I've worked with people who don't hear what people on the radio are saying, I'll laugh at something and they go "what?" One ADD case said he could put a CD on repeat all day and never notice! I also usually listen to books or pods rather than music, there's more "open air" to hear external stuff.

I prefer not to take my phone if possible, the one I've ordered has a built in mp3, we'll see if that works. What do you guys use to protect your phones? I've seen some guys use nothing! I've used those glorified ziplocs with the hard plastic closure, they're a pain, especially to use the power or volume buttons.

Gooper cell phone waterproof bag. Simple and effective.

I think I need to stitch a "phone pocket" on the inside chest of my PFD, none of the exterior pockets really work well, especially if I'm going to be accessing it for playback.