Billy29

Maritime 189 vs Parker 1801

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I think I pretty much narrowed it down to these two boats. Like in my previous post it will be used in the back bays,  LI Sound on nice days and I will trailer it to the southshore to fish the Great South Bay. Which is the better boat out of the two?

I like that they aren't covered in stupid upholstery and they look like they are very low maintenance. 

Both great boats. I have been on both brands. Maybe not the exact models. Really up to you based on the layout. To me, I would lean towards the Parker but you cannot go wrong with either. 

Parker 1801 owners what were the roughest conditions that you experienced with your boat and how did it do?  

I worked off a 21' before and it's was very impressive in what it can handle. 

I had the maritime 1890.  The skiff should be lighter than the parker and better on gas but you will slam in 1-2' chop. Parker will slam too but has the liner and slightly heavier. If its used the Parker may have the steel tank and could be suspect to rotting out and needed to be replaced. Rip up deck?  The maritime.  operates on portable tanks. 

I have an 1801. It is low maintenance. If you buy one and it doesn't have trim tabs, add them. Improves the ride significantly. I take mine in the ocean all the time. But I do pick my days. 

Can't comment on Maritime but I ran an 18' Parker for 10 years. Fished out of Point Judith many trips to Block Island and all over the RI Coast. Not sure if you know the area but it can get a little rough especially in the afternoon ride home. Your not going to run it at 4000 rpm in 3 footers but if you use your head and take your time you'll get home no problem. You'll get wet and it'll bang but you'll be fine. The note about checking the tank is good advice. That's why I got rid of mine.

7 hours ago, oldgoat said:

check out the---19monomoy---by roger Carrol boat carpenter.

OG - I see a few of them in Oyster River on occasion.  Always wonder who built them.  Thanks!!!  

If it were me (and it has been off & on) .. I would be looking for an 18 to 20 boat ... and between the two mentioned ... it would be the Parker. The fact that it's heavier is not a bad thing in an 18 footer. It's a sturdier boat. You might want a larger engine like a 150hp over a 115hp ... but it will feel better cutting through a chop.

Good luck in your search.