RevPDP

Do I Need a Long Leader on My Casting Reel?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

40# to 60# shock leader for all casting rods, double uni with tag ends clipped close and a drop of water thin CA for added security, and keep the knot wound close to the spool side so as not to bleed the thumb whence casting.

I've been testing out a quad surgeon's knot to splice on casting rod leaders and top shots, and I think it works pretty darned good and probably will become my go-to mono-a-mono/floro splice knot.  A surgeon is just a series of doubled main+leader overhands and is primarily used with short leaders, but what about a leader or top shot that can be 20 to 100 feet long (or longer)?  Easy, just keep the leader on its spool, or wind a specific leader length on an empty spool or whatever, and make the initial surgeon's loop diameter large enuf to fit over the leader's spool.  The resulting quad surgeon's knot is not only stupid easy to tie, it's extremely strong and flies through the guides with ease.

2 mins ago, roughneck3 said:

I really can't believe more of you guys don't use these tapered leaders, they are the best thing going. s-l1600.jpg

just got another four powercast 18-70 in the mail from canada.  yeah, tapered leaders are Nice, but imho not all that necessary in the long run.    :)

On 10/9/2020 at 3:33 PM, roughneck3 said:

I really can't believe more of you guys don't use these tapered leaders, they are the best thing going. s-l1600.jpg

I have always thought that tapered shock leaders were for fly fishing..

In the short run, I prefer a straight mono shock leader.  I mostly run with a .035 mono main line that compression knots well for a 50# to 80# shocker.  Lots cheaper, works more than well.

Still threading the main line thru hollow core braid for the entire length of the shock leader folding the main line in half and doubling the entire 18 feet ....main line is 20 lb or less with a tapestry needle from the local sewing store supply....finishing  the entire 18 feet with a minute film of gorilla glue.... No knots but does take time ....extremely strong ....adding the hook ,plug leader with a swivel and floro...I just added mags to the grand wave 20,grand wave 30 and sh 30....the twenty ,sh 30,and mag7ht has the hollow core shock leader on them and will be playing on the field shortly....lol lol lol

Edited by Surf bomber

That's a whole lotta work, that hollow core thing.  And what is gained for all that effort, time, and money?  I never got any real benefits (distance) with that stuff, or with tapered leaders.  A straight shot of mono shocker and an improved Albright on the main line works best for me.

I pay attention to all this stuff, a good shock leader material along with a good knot is necessary. For myself I take into consideration my age,73 ,my strength, pretty damn weak , athletic ability , not bad for my age and equipment. I don't see the need to go bonkers over a shock leader. 13ft cts s7 abu 5000 14lb mono 50lb sakuma shock leader connected with a nice albright works fine. I avoid crowds, there is never another fisherman within 200yards of me.I do have to be aware of beach walkers. lucky for me I surffish a region where if you can walk a 1/4 to 1/2mile you can have the beach to yourself.

On 6/21/2020 at 7:58 PM, oldgoat said:

A tournament cast that snaps  can put a lead through a tree grove and then dent a rocker panel on Stan Gibbs station wagon.

Hey that was me that did that   LOL