RevPDP

Do I Need a Long Leader on My Casting Reel?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I've been looking at many of the distance casting vids on Youtube, and most of them use a long (20-50ft?) leader tied to their mono or braid.  Question: What is the reason for this?  Can I get away with a 4-5ft. leader where the knot is just outside of the tip?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Traditional wisdom says it should wrap around the spool a few times. At that length terminal tackle is out, and a knot is required. I’ve gone back to a swivel outside of the top eye after 20 years of long shock  leaders and knots. One reason for a ‘shock’ leader is that the first 15 feet or so gets a lot wear on the cast going through the guides before it free flys.

Edited by cheech

It's not just the wear, it depends in the BS of you rmain line.

60lb braid man line on a conventional reel - probably not required if you are throwing 4-6oz + bair.
if you are casting 6-8oz + bait with 20lb mono main line, you need a stout leader.

What is your set up?

Edited by ZAFisher

When I use braid, I like a long leader, 10 feet?   If you are on rocks, it's nice to be able to grab the line without worrying about the braid slicing through your wet skin. When I chunk, I like about twenty feet on the end of my mono as a shock leader to avoid possible crackoffs.

For mono I like 22' or so of 70/80lb (.70-.80mm) to 0.35/0.45mm main line

For braid same length but something along the lines of 100-150lb leader to 30lb to 50lb main

On 6/19/2020 at 10:45 AM, RevPDP said:

What is the reason for this?

Are you breaking off during the cast?

I am and for that reason I need the heavier wind on casting leader.

Edited by CharlieCompany

I'm old school, I like about 33,,36feet of 50lb mono shocker which is enough to have a long distance drop to your lead and around your spool a few times.

A tournament cast that snaps  can put a lead through a tree grove and then dent a rocker panel on Stan Gibbs station wagon or just plain kill someone.

PLAY SAFE.

Ok it’s making sense.  I’m setting up my first casting combo, and I’d like to be able to reach out there and touch someone.  The combo is a Daiwa Millionaire 7HT MAG ST paired with an 11ft Daiwa Tournament Ballistic (?) rod.  I’ll probably spool it with 30-40# braid... Can’t really see casting more than 5oz. with it. Realistically more like 3-4oz.

Don't know the reel, but if it is a thumbleveler, I'd go with at least 50 lb braid. A good hit (if you are fishing, you'd be safe on the grass) might slash your left thumb.

3 hours ago, RevPDP said:

Ok it’s making sense.  I’m setting up my first casting combo, and I’d like to be able to reach out there and touch someone.  The combo is a Daiwa Millionaire 7HT MAG ST paired with an 11ft Daiwa Tournament Ballistic (?) rod.  I’ll probably spool it with 30-40# braid... Can’t really see casting more than 5oz. with it. Realistically more like 3-4oz.

#20lb Fireline will work nicely. Actual dia is around 0.36mm so would match casting performance of 0.35mm/15lb mono.

It matches most 30lb braids in terms of strength (50lb BS) just lousy casting performance on spinners; with your set up it would be fine

Easier to un pick when you have a ninja-level "oh chit" moment. I have it on an old pimped Chrome Rocket and it's a pleasure to use

The #30 Fireline would also work; just a bit more ropey, dia is about 0.45mm, breaks at about 70lb

I know Sudsy who visits this sub-forum a bit swears by Spiderwire Stealth for the same reason; think he likes the 30lb for lures and 65lb for chunking?

Guys, if you are casting for distance using ANY power casting technique then USE A SHOCK LEADER. The only real exception would be using a heavy braided line (like 65 lbs). The shock leader needs to be long enough so that when you are cast ready (sinker and bait dangling to your normal "drop") you need to have a minimum of 8 wraps of leader on the spool. The term "shock leader" really means a leader to absorb the shock of a powercast. It has to have wraps on the spool to work. It also helps a lot when you hook up and land a big fish. Once the leader in on the spool, you can horse the fish onto the beach.

If you power cast and do not use a shock leader, everyone on the beach that is on the powerstroke side (right for a right handed caster) is in HARMS WAY!

Tommy

On 6/22/2020 at 2:46 PM, Tommy said:

Guys, if you are casting for distance using ANY power casting technique then USE A SHOCK LEADER. The only real exception would be using a heavy braided line (like 65 lbs). The shock leader needs to be long enough so that when you are cast ready (sinker and bait dangling to your normal "drop") you need to have a minimum of 8 wraps of leader on the spool. The term "shock leader" really means a leader to absorb the shock of a powercast. It has to have wraps on the spool to work. It also helps a lot when you hook up and land a big fish. Once the leader in on the spool, you can horse the fish onto the beach.

If you power cast and do not use a shock leader, everyone on the beach that is on the powerstroke side (right for a right handed caster) is in HARMS WAY!

Tommy

May I add a little?

"If you power cast and do not use a shock leader" ^ and do not periodically check its' condition , "everyone on the beach that is on the powerstroke side (right for a right handed caster) is in HARMS WAY!"

Structure can damage the shock leader.

Some fish like to bite on bright shiny swivels.

And I learned in Maui that puffer fish like to bite on green shock leader that resembles sea weed.

Edited by Don B

Revpdp I use the same setup I slip a 16ft piece of  50lb. Hollow core over the main line. And never had a break off with that feel on a 13 foot breakaway or 13 foot century throwing 5 ounce high low rigs..That reel so far has held up with out any problems so far from the beach.Not many folks throwing past you from the beach.

Edited by Surf bomber

1 hour ago, Surf bomber said:

Revpdp I use the same setup I slip a 16ft piece of  50lb. Hollow core over the main line. And never had a break off with that feel on a 13 foot breakaway or 13 foot century throwing 5 ounce high low rigs..That reel so far has held up with out any problems so far from the beach.Not many folks throwing past you from the beach.

I’ve worked with hollow core braid but only on one rig that I hardly use.  Please explain your setup.  Hollow core to your regular braid, then leader to the hollow core?

Revdpd  no knots take your main line and thread it through the 16feet of hollow core using a regular Tapestry needle. I didn't buy the hollow braid needles. Once it's over the main line I took gorilla glue stretched out the 16 feet and with Gloved hands put a minute film over the hollow braid and let dry.extremely strong . Add a swivel to the hollowcore/main and then your rig I usually use 30 or 40 mono high lo or 3feet of mono with the plug on the end.No failures been using it since last aug.attached to the rod and that feel you good. I use 20 lb mono for main line on one rig and 12 lb mono for main line on my other rig....but your braid will work just fine... I'm extremely tough on my tackle so it will last and cast FAR.AS ALWAYS USE CAUTION AND CHECK THE CONDITION OF THE LEADER OFTEN .FOLKS ON THE BEACH ARE IN YOUR REACH WHEN BREAK OFFS OCCUR!

Edited by Surf bomber