DEM Parking Lot

Super tune ceramic bearings for spinning reels - are they worth it?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

A seller on the fleabay is selling Super Tune Ceramic bearing kits for most spinning reels.

Anyone have any experience with them?  Is it worth the $$$?

I could see upgraded bearings being beneficial for conventional reels, but spinning reels?  Could ceramic bearing be more rust resistant?

37 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

A seller on the fleabay is selling Super Tune Ceramic bearing kits for most spinning reels.

Anyone have any experience with them?  Is it worth the $$$?

I could see upgraded bearings being beneficial for conventional reels, but spinning reels?  Could ceramic bearing be more rust resistant?

VS has a hybrid ceramic bearing available for replacing the radial bearing under the flyer (due to poor maintenance design - insert can of worms here)

8 hours ago, ged said:

VS has a hybrid ceramic bearing available for replacing the radial bearing under the flyer (due to poor maintenance design - insert can of worms here)

That for the early VS?  I wonder if thats to prevent a seized bearing in the event water intrusion..

I seen a kit for a penn torque spinner and kinda tempted to try it out...

Not worth the money or efforts.  The bearing race and cage are still steel, still prong to rust.  Rusted ball or race is about the same.  Greased sealed bearings would make more sense.

1 hour ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

That for the early VS?  I wonder if thats to prevent a seized bearing in the event water intrusion..

I seen a kit for a penn torque spinner and kinda tempted to try it out...

I think the TQ is pretty smooth as is. 

10 hours ago, hobobob said:

Not worth the money or efforts.  The bearing race and cage are still steel, still prong to rust.  Rusted ball or race is about the same.  Greased sealed bearings would make more sense.

And they make more noise than regular bearings..

still waiting for scoob's take on this.  If one were to send a reel to a manufacturer's service center, would you risk having them remove your custom stuff and replace it with stock?  Such as bearings or a power handle?

chinese import hybrids spin fine....though I've had corrosion issues (on spool bearings )  

I have found that abec 7 rated chinesium hybrids have a inner race that sees to woller around a bit laterally.

I don't recommend hybrid ceramics for anything anymore...what was once a needed and automatic upgrade....has since been replaced by purging stock and loobing properly.  Now I have reels that cast the same and are quiter.

If there was a nsk high corrosion resistant cage and race bearing with sini balls..with their quality.......then sign me up.

I'm replacing 12 as I type....trying to fight the 36$ price tag....

Also Keep in mind...hybrids are loud....

And bearing upgrades in spinning reels.......snake oil...

daiwa and shimano use excellent qualtiy bearings....no low end hybrid ceramic bearing that I can import for 1$ apiece from "insert random alibaba supplier" is going to out perform a high quality bearing.   I  also have to wonder if the ebay seller has scoured the alibaba listings or suppliers....as the products they sell can come from different manufacturers...some being better than others.  (I imported lots of full ceramics....amazing how the same thing could differ so much from one supplier to the next....

8 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

And they make more noise than regular bearings..

Yeah makes absolute no sense to use it as a roller bearing or pinion gear bearing. If anything, greased pinion gear bearing is the way to go.

5 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Yeah makes absolute no sense to use it as a roller bearing or pinion gear bearing. If anything, greased pinion gear bearing is the way to go.

And that's as long as ya don't mind a slightly sluggish reel...which would defeat any supposed benefit in upgrading to hybrids... :) 

On most of my spinning reels on the bearing I use regular 5 weight oil and on the gears I use 90 weight oil and sometimes lithium grease...Been lubricating all my reels this way for over 50 years. And there are a couple of these reels still in use..This is not brain surgery it's just basic maintenance of a piece of equipment..   

15 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

On most of my spinning reels on the bearing I use regular 5 weight oil and on the gears I use 90 weight oil and sometimes lithium grease...Been lubricating all my reels this way for over 50 years. And there are a couple of these reels still in use..This is not brain surgery it's just basic maintenance of a piece of equipment..   

One thing I've found using gear oil or greased thinned too much on modern reels..... If they're stored hot in a position the grease gets above the pinion bearing... It can and often will get into and cause the AR clutch to fail.  Otherwise if it's self contained its great 

Your 100% correct but most of the time I have my reet attached to the rod which is leaning in a vertical position keeping most of the lubrication towards the back of the reel.. 

There are AR-s that are not affected by oil

and putting some thick grease on entry and exit points of pinnion will prevent leakage.

Also, there are hybrid plastic ( rails ) ceramic ( balls ) bearings and those are quieter.

Wow lost track of this thread...

My torque functions perfectly, I just get the itch to tinker with things sometimes but as they say, don't fix it if it's not broken.

So I guess the general consensus is...  useless...  Kinda like volvo having them little windshield wipers on headlights....

Anyway, all great imput from everyone.  Glad I asked about this before dishing out the $$$$.