Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jhndoe

Great white Barnstable harbor

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Used to dive for lobsters at the #2 bell at the entrance to BH many moons ago.  They might have been around then too but we just didn't hear about them so much lol.  

Edited by FoliFish

14 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Perfect timing. I was about to post a question as to whether any GWs had shown up yet. 

Any half seals around?

Half seal showed up Yesterday morning in Plymouth/Kingston area.  My son is a guard at a local beach and said the MA State Police Chopper, spotter plane and harbormasters were on full alert most of the day.

I'll bet they were! 

I still think that the NE states should import some seal-eating orcas.  As mammals, they have much higher metabolic rates than do GWs, so they'll consume many more pounds of seal per pound of orca. The flip side is that orcas also eat GWs.

The canal has become a year round home for both harbor and gray seals.   A GW off Barnstable Hrb is just a few flaps of it's tail from the canal.  It may be just a matter of time before someone has a fish chopped in half by Mr Whitey.

No reason why GWs shouldn't be semi-resident in the Canal itself, is there? Even if the currents are strong, they'll find shelter in the same irregularities as do bass.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:18 PM, bob_G said:

The canal has become a year round home for both harbor and gray seals.   A GW off Barnstable Hrb is just a few flaps of it's tail from the canal.  It may be just a matter of time before someone has a fish chopped in half by Mr Whitey.

Don’t go wading in the mud flats!

Just a week ago I found 2 large seals way up inside B Harbor. Been fishing there for 30 years via tin boat and that’s the first time I have even see them that far up inside 

25 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

Just a week ago I found 2 large seals way up inside B Harbor. Been fishing there for 30 years via tin boat and that’s the first time I have even see them that far up inside 

They must be trying to get away from Whitey.  

On 6/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, BrianBM said:

I'll bet they were! 

I still think that the NE states should import some seal-eating orcas.  As mammals, they have much higher metabolic rates than do GWs, so they'll consume many more pounds of seal per pound of orca. The flip side is that orcas also eat GWs.

They eat their liver! It's like candy for them- they dont eat the whole shark- just liver