Middycd

Bluefin On The Fly?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hello All!

I’m new to the forum so I guess this doubles as an introductory post. I thoroughly enjoy chasing stripes and blues on the fly, the majority of which occurs from a paddleboard or in the surf. That being said, I do have a boat and have heard reports of bluefin coming in south of the vineyard. I’m wondering if anyone has experience targeting them and would be willing to offer advice. Thank you.

Pretty sure Bob from Colton has experience with that. I forget his name on here. I’ve got a feeling that if you called Colton he’d be more than willing to talk to you about it. 

The pic below is 20 years old. They are a **** ton of fun. I've taken fish igfa 'legal' and fish on the troll with a flyrod as well (not at all sporting but a 60lb yellowfin crushing a fly on the troll is still fun). 

My fly caught fish were all caught while chunking and drifting/working flies thru the slick. 13wts were the norm. They're not too hard on you and you can fish a 20lb tippet with max pressure. I'd be willing to bet the fish that you're hearing about could be targeted with a 12-13wt, shooting head system and a fly that matches the forage. There's not much more to it than that on the fishing side. Someone experienced driving the boat would be a huge advantage.

onthefly1.jpeg

That whole Bluefin on the fly craze died out a while ago.  It's really difficult to get a quality shot using a fly rod. You may fish all day and have just a few opportunities. Just way easier and probably more fun using today's modern spin gear tactics.  Plus if the fish are larger do you really want to spend hours fighting a fish?  Say a 100+ pound bluefin tuna, doing death circles in 200 feet of water.  No thank you.   Now if the fish were say 25lbs, it would be a blast.

I would say it's fun once. After that it's too much work. 

In order to get a quality shot one would need to be able to cast a 12-13wt a good distance and with some accuracy. A 13wt with a 550gr head is a bit of a beast to throw 70+ feet that's needed. In my younger days I could do that but not now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

“Even a small tuna, such as a thirty-pounder that was caught on a black plug by Wm. Lakaitis, surf casting at North Truro on the night of July 28, 1951, is a far more stronger adversary in the surf than a striped bass of equal size.”  Bigelow and Schroeder,  1953, Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, Fishery Bulletin 74, Fishery Bulletin of the Fish and Wildlife Service Volumn 53. 
0F8304B7-7114-467E-83E9-DCB7C71DFC8F.jpeg.e240caafff659314e719c90f9602c7c6.jpeg

Photo is of an approximately 30 lber taken on 80 lb mono trolling  a  spreader rig on the surface with a  conventional reel 50 miles south of Long Island. Bringing it in was no day in the park. I’ve no experience with blue water fly rodding but I guess it could done with a steep learning curve and the right tackle. 

Edited by flyrad10
Correct reference title

I use a 10wt 95% of the time and a 10-pound albie fights way harder than 35-pound bass I’ve caught on the same rig. These fish are 5-10lbs. I couldn’t imagine what a 50+ pound tuna  is capable of. I’d love to give it a try though... 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to fish them a lot when they were abundant inshore 10-15 years ago. For gear, you want a high performance 14wt that's light and you can cast all day without too much fatigue. Match that with a leviathan or similar big game line on a quality reel (tibor, etc) loaded with 500 yards of 65# powerpro backing and you're good to go. Good knots/strong hooks are a must! Anything over 55" is going to beat you up so try and find the small fish...easier said than done these days

Edited by Strat

The fight is definitely fun but it’s mostly an up/down thing. It’s always hard to estimate how much line is out but I doubt that I was taken more than 100 yards by a tuna. That’s bft and yft. 

They tend not to run out or away from the boat. The fish in the pic above fought very oddly. For the first 40 minutes or so it was a tug of war straight up and down. The fish didn’t even have backing out, just in the running line. I got the the head into the rod and then the fish decided to fight. It wasn’t a blazingly fast run, just powerful. The fish dumped quite a bit of line and cost me another hour to land. A lot of fun but as the fight goes on the risk of loss increases. 

during those years I made all my trips with Capt Al Anderson. He was a good capt and fun to fish with. 

ps - one of the trips I did had 20-30lb yft and big bonito. The bonito were probably in the 10lb range and fought just about as hard as the tuna. 

Years ago and I mean years ago I was out of sea isle city and we got into schoolie bluefin and also big mahi. We were using 10/11 wt outfits. Lots of fun. The schoolie are manageable and lots of fun. 

We were hitting buoys and looking for mahi, we just got lucky finding the tuna. 

9 hours ago, Seadogg said:

I use a 10wt 95% of the time and a 10-pound albie fights way harder than 35-pound bass I’ve caught on the same rig. These fish are 5-10lbs. I couldn’t imagine what a 50+ pound tuna  is capable of. I’d love to give it a try though... 

You should see the monster albies offshore......teens and mid 20's common...

They smoke a 50 wide set at 21lbs of drag on the knock down....and they're a bitch to bring in

I think we caught 100 of them on the last few runs.  Unfortunately you had to get past them to get to the tooners.

I can't imagine what these offshore albies would do to light spinning tackle...they're a blast on light braid a 4k spinner and a light rod.....these would strip 250 yards of 15lb braid without batting an eye..lol

Here's a funny story....

Brought a friend on an offshore run...(which officially broke him...ever since he pretty much gave up on anything else..and only wants pelagics)

It might have been the next morning or afternoon following an overnight in the hudson.

The Capt reaches into the coffin box...pulls out a anodized aluminum tube as asks in a thoroughly confused manner.....what is this!???

And as Chris says it's a fly rod tube..and asked if he could cast at some tuna...Mid sentence capt comes out with the line of all lines....

Shoving this thing up your ass would be the second gayest thing you could do with this thing....second only  to actually fishing with it.......

I don't think he's fully recovered from that moment.

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Here's a funny story....

Brought a friend on an offshore run...(which officially broke him...ever since he pretty much gave up on anything else..and only wants pelagics)

It might have been the next morning or afternoon following an overnight in the hudson.

The Capt reaches into the coffin box...pulls out a anodized aluminum tube as asks in a thoroughly confused manner.....what is this!???

And as Chris says it's a fly rod tube..and asked if he could cast at some tuna...Mid sentence capt comes out with the line of all lines....

Shoving this thing up your ass would be the second gayest thing you could do with this thing....second only  to actually fishing with it.......

I don't think he's fully recovered from that moment.

Hahahaha I want to go fishing with that guy