ChefWeird

Updating hardware on Lupo Trollers

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

I've got a few of these 9" Lupo Trollers that I'd like to fish.

I need suggestions/tips on hardware, specifically hook and split ring size.

I'd like to throw these without the front hook catching my leader and clip.

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!

20200618_123457.jpg

20200618_123501.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I impulsively bought a bunch to try stupid cheap on Fbay.  Don't have a lot of experience with big diving metal lips, but straight out of the package they seem to have a more subtle swimming action than other big metal lips I've tried like cowboys and pikies.  Don't have the same thump in strong current but still have a great swimming action.  

I put a cut 4/0 mustad on one and cut 5/0 vmc on another with "1 hook solution weight" on the second swivel and they swim similar to stock.  Found with a 3/0 and no weight they had wider bigger swimming action but didn't dive as deep and rolled out a bit easier in heavy current or faster retrieve.  

Just starting to mess with the line tie angle but like them so far.  Stopping the line before the plug hits the water keeps the line from hanging on the front treble for me. 

Edited by Bait Tailer

I'm a big fan of Lupos, esp the trollers.  I agree that they don't have the thump of Conrads and Pikies, but bear in mind that this design was optimized for trolling as opposed to casting, so they'll hold, with a thrumming, in faster water than the Conrads and Pikies. (In that regard, they are similar to the Gibbs GTS3s IMO.)

I'll have to check my old pics and plugs, but I believe that they came with cut 5/0 Mustad front belly, cut 4/0 Mustad rear belly and something like a 7/0 single dressed tail hook (taped in red, of course!).

As for casting, they leave a lot to be desired, which is OK by me because I only use them in outflows, tossing a short cast into the current and backswimming them for 100 yards out.

Nice old plugs.

Have a few hanging in the garage just because I like to look at old stuff.

Lupo’s have the Cheapest plastic eyes I ever saw on any plug.

Why did they even bother ?

5 mins ago, valentine said:

Nice old plugs.

Have a few hanging in the garage just because I like to look at old stuff.

Lupo’s have the Cheapest plastic eyes I ever saw on any plug.

Why did they even bother ?

I was just thinking the same thing! Good eyes on a plug is a huge confidence booster imo

Use cut hooks, no splits... You can adjust the eye and they will swim shallowish as well ... Danny Divers are underrated metal lip wise but seem to be making a resurgance... My dad had a yellow 6 in. Lupo diver hanging on the wall for years when I was a kid that he retired, it looked like it got mauled by an alligator...

Edited by charles s

On 6/18/2020 at 4:02 PM, ChefWeird said:

I was just thinking the same thing! Good eyes on a plug is a huge confidence booster imo

WRONG..... eyes on a plug or lure, don't mean crap, do you think , fish really, really care,,, don't get suckered in, for the "pretty", eyed plug , that these plugbuilders, build, today,.... Tony Lupo, like ALL early plugbuilders, were great pioneers in the sport , we all love, today......they made it possilbe,

Edited by lureman

Hey, I LIKE those cheap plastic pin eyes!!  Retro AF, IMO.

Having said that, do eyes make ANY difference?  For the most part, I doubt that they do.  But, on the other hand, do they hurt anything?  Probably not, so I'll paint some on at times, figuring that there's nothing to lose.  

The only time I've found eyes to have a positive impact is on squid imitating plugs in low light or darkness, so I add day glow eyes by mixing fluorescent powder in clear nail polish or CA glue.   

I could never figure out why some builders (e.g., Saltys) use glow eyes at the FRONT of their plugs.  Maybe they want their needles to imitate squid swimming tentacles-first?  

45 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Hey, I LIKE those cheap plastic pin eyes!!  Retro AF, IMO.

Having said that, do eyes make ANY difference?  For the most part, I doubt that they do.  But, on the other hand, do they hurt anything?  Probably not, so I'll paint some on at times, figuring that there's nothing to lose.  

The only time I've found eyes to have a positive impact is on squid imitating plugs in low light or darkness, so I add day glow eyes by mixing fluorescent powder in clear nail polish or CA glue.   

I could never figure out why some builders (e.g., Saltys) use glow eyes at the FRONT of their plugs.  Maybe they want their needles to imitate squid swimming tentacles-first?  

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's to imitate a squid.  Like I said, it's all a confidence thing when I throw a plug with good eyes on it. Makes me feel like it looks more realistic. 

However, I feel you with the vintage eyes. They do have that cool retro look. I'm keeping them on these plugs for sure. 

1 hour ago, lureman said:

WRONG..... eyes on a plug or lure, don't mean crap, do you think , fish really, really care,,, don't get suckered in, for the "pretty", eyed plug , that these plugbuilders, build, today,.... Tony Lupo, like ALL early plugbuilders, were great pioneers in the sport , we all love, today......they made it possilbe,

Not wrong, confidence while fishing a plug is one of the most important factors in catching a fish. It's my opinion and I'm standing by it.

I value your opinion too but don't your sit at your keyboard and say one person's opinion is without a shadow of a doubt wrong.

It was a conversation with Dave Anderson at a show years ago about why he built blind (no eyes) plugs that had me explore this more. Eyes on a plug can accentuate or exaggerate the perceived action of a plug. Try swimming two identical plugs one blind and one with eyes and you will notice that the eyed plug appears to have more roll. A two tone color can also have same effect verses a solid color plug. I fish more blind Danny’s for this reason as I want a more subtle action. 
No idea if the fish care but it’s what I do.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 0:45 PM, ChefWeird said:

I've got a few of these 9" Lupo Trollers that I'd like to fish.

I need suggestions/tips on hardware, specifically hook and split ring size.

I'd like to throw these without the front hook catching my leader and clip.

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!

20200618_123457.jpg

20200618_123501.jpg

you have it right in your picture.

that's how I would fish them.

or,one can use a flag out back and 2 trebles.

from what I see there should be no question at all.

triple split up front with a 4/0 I tink that is.

you're ready to fish.

HH

Just checked and I’m almost positive stock is 5/0 and 4/0 5x mustards.  At least it matches the 4/0 5x I have.  That said I’m carrying two to experiment with different line tie angles and hooks/weights.

Really like the one hook solution though. With some worm weights it takes 10 minutes to make a bunch for each hook size.  I’ve dropped fewer fish, makes it 10x easier to land and get them back in the water and honestly I love being able to stuff more plugs in a smaller bag.   

Edited by Bait Tailer