norcalkat

June 25th - Striped Bass Slot Limit petition

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The time is now to be heard!  On June 25th the Fish and Game Commission  will have the petition in front or them to put a slot limit of 20”-30” on our Striped Bass on the West Coast.  Login via webex or phone and please show your support for this. Fish with JD had a live feed yesterday talking about this and we need to band together as anglers and show our support for this.  The Nor Cal Guide and Sportsman’s Association is doing the good battle and it’s imperative we support them as well as the more members they have the more push they can get. $20 a year is something small that we can all get behind.  Let’s do this and please share!

A5C26857-C9D2-4898-8B04-4AB22F1F88BB.jpeg

Edited by norcalkat

Yes, Yes Yes! I have been saying this for quite sometime and the 20-30" is exactly what I have been saying, good round numbers everyone can remember and understand. I just can't see this passing, while at the same time they are trying to pass laws to eradicate this "invasive" species and remove limits and remove this fish's Sportfish status? I sure hope this goes through and support this petition in full. Please explain the $20 a year? guess I will click on the link and find out. I will spread the word get that exponential growth on this going! Thanks Orlando for keeping us informed.

1 hour ago, Linesideslayer said:

Yes, Yes Yes! I have been saying this for quite sometime and the 20-30" is exactly what I have been saying, good round numbers everyone can remember and understand. I just can't see this passing, while at the same time they are trying to pass laws to eradicate this "invasive" species and remove limits and remove this fish's Sportfish status? I sure hope this goes through and support this petition in full. Please explain the $20 a year? guess I will click on the link and find out. I will spread the word get that exponential growth on this going! Thanks Orlando for keeping us informed.

Yes a slot limit is way over due.  That way everyone wins, and the fishery has a chance to recover and the opportunity of having a bigger population of large females that can produce far more eggs than a smaller female. 

The petition is in place already and it's on the table for the fish and game commission to discuss on Thursday June 25th.  Now more than ever is the best opportunity for your average angler to show their support as it is being conducted via Webex due to Covid19. Prior people had to take the day off, travel , pay for fuel..etc, now you can participate via online or phone.  The Bigger the numbers the better! 

The only people trying to eradicate fish are the farmers from the central valley, they are the ones that are pushing the whole "invasive" verbage.  The Sportfish title was removed from stripers here I believe in 2016 (maybe 2015).  Fish and Game does not have the funds to push something like this through but if we band together as anglers and business owners and voice our opinions TOGETHER, then they have no choice but to listen to what the majority say.  This is the perfect opportunity for us to show we care about stripers on the West Coast, and with ease to do so too!  (webex)  Few months ago we proved the power of anglers when they wanted to close down certain area's to fishing, and the overwhelming response on the phone and webex showed how much the anglers cared, that the Gov. had to address it.  

The Nor Cal Guide and Sportsman's Association has been doing some imperative work for our fisheries improvement.  They have been calling out the lies and deception that many groups have been trying to pass.  I chose to line myself with those that think along the same lines as I do.  They benefit from having a great fishery because there job depends on it and they rely on science not agenda's.   By joining the association you can show the power in membership when they talk in front of the commission for better regulations and changes.  $20 I can spend at Starbucks easily so what is that to most of us a year, in return they get to show the large # of memberships that think along the lines they do as well.  

Edited by norcalkat

Here is the quote from the Association's Face book page by James Stone;

Our group filed a petition with the fish and game commission for a striped bass slot limit. We’ve been working with scientists (Cynthia LeDoux Bloom) for the past two years that have proven to us that the striped bass population is declining heavily due to many issues and the only one that we can control is our harvest rates on certain year classes of fish. Striped bass need to reach 24 inches as females in order to reach fecundity. (6 yrs old)Male striped bass reach maturity faster at 3 years old about 18”The thought process of the petition is to recommend a 20 to 30 inch slot limit which allows three-year-old fish to make it to age 4 until they get harvested which will intern allow more fish to reach maturity. Also by capping at the 30 inch mark it will protect all of our breeder fish that are larger. Most groups feel this slot might need to be revised again someday(4-5 years) but this is a great starting point.
Now I know everybody’s not gonna agree on this decision but we’ve been reaching out with many other groups, (the coalition the for striped bass) over the past five years together and everyone is in agreement generally for 4 to5 years of going to this 20 to 30 inch rule to see if it helps the population rebound. All we’re trying to do is create a better fishery for everyone.
The Department of Fish and wildlife refuses to spend any money to monitor and manage the species and failed to meet the 96 Striped bass policy and return the striped bass to it’s historic levels of 1 to 3,000,000 adults. Currently the estimated population is somewhere around 300,000 adults
Organization has also created an app called NCGASA FLAME
This app is currently under beta testing and allows us to take pictures and monitor and manage fish in Bay, Delta and rivers.
Please feel free to include your comments of what your thoughts are considering that organization has already filed the petition and it will be in front of the commission on June 25.
Our board will read all of your comments before we write our final letter in our decision
Thank you

3 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

Here is the quote from the Association's Face book page by James Stone;

Our group filed a petition with the fish and game commission for a striped bass slot limit. We’ve been working with scientists (Cynthia LeDoux Bloom) for the past two years that have proven to us that the striped bass population is declining heavily due to many issues and the only one that we can control is our harvest rates on certain year classes of fish. Striped bass need to reach 24 inches as females in order to reach fecundity. (6 yrs old)Male striped bass reach maturity faster at 3 years old about 18”The thought process of the petition is to recommend a 20 to 30 inch slot limit which allows three-year-old fish to make it to age 4 until they get harvested which will intern allow more fish to reach maturity. Also by capping at the 30 inch mark it will protect all of our breeder fish that are larger. Most groups feel this slot might need to be revised again someday(4-5 years) but this is a great starting point.
Now I know everybody’s not gonna agree on this decision but we’ve been reaching out with many other groups, (the coalition the for striped bass) over the past five years together and everyone is in agreement generally for 4 to5 years of going to this 20 to 30 inch rule to see if it helps the population rebound. All we’re trying to do is create a better fishery for everyone.
The Department of Fish and wildlife refuses to spend any money to monitor and manage the species and failed to meet the 96 Striped bass policy and return the striped bass to it’s historic levels of 1 to 3,000,000 adults. Currently the estimated population is somewhere around 300,000 adults
Organization has also created an app called NCGASA FLAME
This app is currently under beta testing and allows us to take pictures and monitor and manage fish in Bay, Delta and rivers.
Please feel free to include your comments of what your thoughts are considering that organization has already filed the petition and it will be in front of the commission on June 25.
Our board will read all of your comments before we write our final letter in our decision
Thank you

Exactly!   That is why I chose to support them.  

Edited by TimS
Sorry Mark, every time you are allowed back here you screw it up being yourself - if yer gonna try to sneak back in you have to pretend you aren’t you :-)

EXCELLENT<  I really hope they are able to get a slot limit into the regs................... I salute the Nor Cal Guide & Sportsman Association & support their petition for a slot limit.  It is my hope that eventually it would become a one fish limit, 

conducted via Webex due to Covid19.

Norcal Kat or anyone else for that matter, for us compu-tards, can you explain how a Webex works and how, what time, etc. are we to log into Webex in order to support the meeting tomorrow? Is there a link?  Any help would be appreciated.

14 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

Norcal Kat or anyone else for that matter, for us compu-tards, can you explain how a Webex works and how, what time, etc. are we to log into Webex in order to support the meeting tomorrow? Is there a link?  Any help would be appreciated.

Agenda

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=180395&inline

Details on how to join are here.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=180444&inline

June 25th the meeting starts at 9am. 

They will be starting with Agenda #18, the Striped Bass Slot limit petition is #30. 

fg.JPG

Edited by norcalkat

3 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Meeting Viewing Only (no public comment)

Watch the Live Stream Webcast

As always, the meeting will be live-streamed (also referred to as a live webcast) with full audio and video. If you simply want to observe the live stream of the meeting but do not wish to comment on any item, we strongly encourage you to view the webcast available at www.fgc.ca.gov.

How to Join the Meeting (if you plan to provide public comment)

Please note: When you join the meeting using any of the following options, you will be muted automatically. Your video will not be displayed.

Option 1: Zoom with Computer Audio

We highly encourage you to join the meeting on your computer via the link below and use your computer audio to participate. You can participate by launching Zoom in your Internet browser or downloading the Zoom app on your computer.

Join Zoom (using your web browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) Enter the meeting ID: 832 7710 1183

Enter the password: 598957

Meeting URL:https://zoom.us/join

You will be prompted to enter your email and name, then click “Join Webinar.” (Note: If asked, the password is 598957)

Webinar URL:  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83277101183?pwd=MmxGY0REc01LaHFjc21nZ0w5Nmw4UT09

Option 2: Zoom via Mobile App

Join using the Zoom app on your mobile device (phone or tablet). After you download the app, open the app, select the “Join” icon, enter the meeting ID number and your display name. Then enter your meeting password.

Meeting ID: 832 7710 1183

Password: 598957

Click here for more details about using Zoom on mobile devices.

Option 3: Teleconference Only

If you are not able to join using your computer or mobile device, please join via phone.

Phone number: +1 (669) 900-6833 or +1 (408) 638-0968

Conference code: 832 7710 1183

Option 4: Zoom with Phone Audio (This is not a preferred option for joining as there is the potential to create feedback)

If you plan to join via computer and use your telephone for audio, join the Zoom meeting on your computer first, using the links in Option 1. For audio, use the “Call Me At” feature and enter your phone number to have Zoom call you.

Making Public Comment

If you join via Zoom on your computer or mobile phone app (Options 1, 2, and 4) use the “raise hand” feature to indicate that you would like to make a public comment. If you join via teleconference only (Option 3), press “*9” to virtually raise your hand to indicate you would like to make a public comment; if you press *9 again, you will lower your hand. Please see the meeting agenda for full instructions regarding making public comments.

Please note: When the moderator unmutes you to make public comment, you may need to unmute yourself as well.

Edited by TimS
links

5 hours ago, norcalkat said:

They will be starting with Agenda #18, the Striped Bass Slot limit petition is #30. 

I'm not sure if this can really be answered but any idea how long it will take to get to #30?