FishRatz

Whitey is Back!

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

News from the team!

The 2020 white shark research season kicked off today! Dr. Greg Skomal of the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, working with the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy, tagged three white sharks that were circling a whale carcass off Monomoy today!

FB_IMG_1592476696672.jpg

FB_IMG_1592476648184.jpg

FB_IMG_1592476643696.jpg

FB_IMG_1592476701134.jpg

FB_IMG_1592476637750.jpg

6 hours ago, harley48 said:

Bayside as well, Teazer a 10’ 9” 651lb male

96ED8713-CF23-44CF-9413-3A6FC474CB71.png

I saw one from the beach by there a couple years ago

I am a big fan of having all these GW’s in our waters. One of the planets most incredible creatures. That said I do not wetsuit or kayak so.......

Have there been any in the canal. I know the seals have been increasing. I wonder if a shark likes that kind of current.  I would imagine the east end would be a good spot. 

yea.  was reading that too.  we were wondering where they were.  usually we’re seeing them from the beach by now.

more seals than usual this year truro bayside, guess i’m gonna have to stick to the “-“ tides for clamming :)

2 years ago in Oct, a tagged shark with ping detection to bouys, was pinged-in south of Plymouth, just north of Canal east entrance.

About 24 hours later..pinged again near MV, between MV and Eliz Islands channel.

The only possible way the shark could have traveled that fast, was thru the whole Canal and Buzzards Bay, perhaps even thru Woods Hole.

The distance around the Cape, thru Nantucket sound to consider, was 100 miles, where the Canal route was about 20.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Good. Let the seal chomping begin.

As long as it's just seals.  I've been over that blue dot in a kayak multiple times.  They are probably there because some the big gray seals moved in several years ago.