wrboz

Lions Mane Jellyfish

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2020 at 8:11 AM, FoliFish said:

Saw this one up inside Kingston Bay a few weeks ago (May 25).  Is this a Lions Mane?  Thought it seemed early for jellies?

A74E8ABE-B705-48C6-8628-2FA9DD68A21F.jpeg

FE9E7BD2-6712-4567-953F-EB40D6B93F7A.jpeg

Yes

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

They are around all winter in the great salt pond in RI. I see them when I start working on the boat in Feb. or Mar. This time of year they are mostly leaving and the ones you see are mostly small ones. I've seen some in the winter that were 3-4 FEET accross.

Makes sense. I probably haven’t noticed them before because I don’t spend much time on the water before May. They’re leaving while I’m showing up! I did read that they’re a cold water species, as in North Sea. The water has been slow warming this year compared to most.

21 hours ago, Turkeybacn said:

Seen plenty of them off Duxbury Beach this week. Got stung by a small one.

So many today it was hard for the kids to swim. I swear in can feel it when my plug hits one at night. 

5 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Maybe this helps explain the absence of our striped friends?

I didn’t do well earlier this year. They seem to be later this year. Hopefully warming waters mean less jellyfish and more bass. Things have been picking up quite a bit in the last two or three weeks.

13 hours ago, BrianBM said:

We need more GWs to prune back the seals. Do we now need more sea turtles to reduce the jellyfish?

No species of turtles can function in the temperatures that these jellyfish prefer.

Out in the surf yesterday AM and after sunrise I did notice a number of these jellys in the water right around my feet.  At one point I counted 6 of them (mostly baseball/softball size) within a 10' radius of me.  I did see one that was closer to volleyball size :eek:

Hundreds (thousands?) of them in the South River yesterday afternoon. Ranged in size from 3 inches to 10 inches across. Lots of them left high and dry on the riverbed as the tide went out.

On 6/20/2020 at 8:37 AM, MakoMike said:

No species of turtles can function in the temperatures that these jellyfish prefer.

Actually, Leatherbacks are found as far north as Labrador in the Atlantic, and are actively hunting jellyfish in water that is under 40 F

33 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Actually, Leatherbacks are found as far north as Labrador in the Atlantic, and are actively hunting jellyfish in water that is under 40 F

Under 40 degree water? What about all the cold stunned turtles that turn up on our beaches every fall?