wrboz

Lions Mane Jellyfish

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Anyone else seeing many of these jellyfish? There were a ton of them in the South River last weekend. Have they been around before and I somehow never noticed them? Where do they come from? Usually don’t see lots of jellyfish until at least July when the water’s warmer. I hear these ones sting.

They hurt.......Have been stung while shellfishing..........be careful! they can also get entangled in gear you are hauling back!........:(

Wearing a wetsuit or waders is a must when they're around, the material will generally keep the stingers from making contact with your skin. Getting stung sucks but it happens. If you do get stung rub meat tenderizer on the exposed area, this will generally numb the pain.

I will say it's pretty cool watching them float by with the tide when there's a lot of fire in the water, it looks very otherworldly....very cool. 

Saw this one up inside Kingston Bay a few weeks ago (May 25).  Is this a Lions Mane?  Thought it seemed early for jellies?

A74E8ABE-B705-48C6-8628-2FA9DD68A21F.jpeg

FE9E7BD2-6712-4567-953F-EB40D6B93F7A.jpeg

10 hours ago, wrboz said:

Anyone else seeing many of these jellyfish? There were a ton of them in the South River last weekend. Have they been around before and I somehow never noticed them? Where do they come from? Usually don’t see lots of jellyfish until at least July when the water’s warmer. I hear these ones sting.

Funny you mention it.  I was out on Saturday AM and noticed a TON of them around as well.  Water was crazy clean/clear everywhere in the area, so I somewhat chalked it up to that.  Usually see a few of them in the area, but I don't recall ever seeing them in these numbers.  They were everywhere both inside the river and outside...

From Boston dot com:

Officials warn of world’s largest jellyfish near Massachusetts beaches

The lion’s mane jellyfish can grow to five or more feet across, with tentacles more than 100 feet long.

Swimmers in Massachusetts are being warned about large jellyfish that have been spotted off the state’s coast.

The Hingham Harbormaster issued a warning Sunday saying numerous lion’s mane jellyfish had been seen in the town’s inner and outer harbor over the weekend. At least one resident has been stung but did not require medical treatment, the warning said.

The lion’s mane jellyfish, the largest known variety, can grow to five or more feet across, with tentacles more than 100 feet long. Those spotted in Hingham had bodies ranging from eight inches to two feet in diameter, the harbormaster said.

The warning urged swimmers to use caution or avoid the water during jellyfish season.

Lion’s mane jellyfish have also been seen near Nahant Beach, the state’s Department of Conservation and Recreation said in an advisory on Friday. Encounters can cause temporary pain and redness but are not known to be fatal, the agency said.

So these jellyfish are around every year, just not in the numbers we’re seeing this year? I never noticed them before, perhaps just because there weren’t as many to notice. Plus, I admit I read about them prior to actually seeing one, so I looked harder than usual.

They are around all winter in the great salt pond in RI. I see them when I start working on the boat in Feb. or Mar. This time of year they are mostly leaving and the ones you see are mostly small ones. I've seen some in the winter that were 3-4 FEET accross.

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

They are around all winter in the great salt pond in RI. I see them when I start working on the boat in Feb. or Mar. This time of year they are mostly leaving and the ones you see are mostly small ones. I've seen some in the winter that were 3-4 FEET accross.

Wow! In the winter, that’s crazy. 

ive been seeing a ton in marshfield, even In  Green harbor off the dock!