CentralMAsurfcaster

Fluke Fishing

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon everyone,

I am a new to this forum for the most part, and new to fluke fishing. I exclusively fished for striped bass for a while now at a variety of beaches, breachways, and jetties in RI. Though I want to begin fishing for fluke. I have a set-up and gear, but I was hoping for possibly some guidance. I plan on fishing at a few well known breachways in RI and was not sure if that was a good plan or if I was better off sticking to the sand. I just figured trying to find a nice open piece of beach during the day would be tough, plus it seems imprecise, and may be difficult honing in on fish. Jetty/breachways seem to be magnets for fish of all kinds, was not sure if my logic was flawed or if I should do something different. With all of that being said, I realize the restraint some may have just forking over intel to someone they don’t know or who hasn’t been super active. I respect it, but I just genuinely was hoping for some advice, anything would be appreciated. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m new to fluke fishing too. * One very popular breachway is always very good but is tough fishing with the crowd in the back waters

Edited by TimS
Please don’t mention overly specific locations - thanks :-)

4 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I’m new to fluke fishing too. The harbor of refuge had been good to me as a noob. One very popular breachway is always very good but is tough fishing with the crowd in the back waters

So at the breachway, what is usually your strategy? Do you fish the backwaters only or do you fish the channel and the outside of/end of the point?

2 mins ago, CentralMAsurfcaster said:

So at the breachway, what is usually your strategy? Do you fish the backwaters only or do you fish the channel and the outside of/end of the point?

I go in the back bay. Tough crowd at the jetty Surfcasting. Best bet for me is the harbor of refuge. Keeper only needs to be 17” and after lots of fish there is bound to be a keeper caught. It’s a numbers game from shore

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

This post has been reported twice for specific location.  I don't see any specific locations but please keep it general.

You don't think the harbor of refuge is a specific location? Maybe you should invest in a chart of the area.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

You don't think the harbor of refuge is a specific location? Maybe you should invest in a chart of the area.

Go easy. I am a NJ guy and realized I dont have editing capabilities here despite being a site wide moderator. Maybe this forum's moderator would like to get involved in this.

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

Go easy. I am a NJ guy and realized I dont have editing capabilities here despite being a site wide moderator. Maybe this forum's moderator would like to get involved in this.

Gotcha! I'm not into the whole spot burning thing anyway. Just kind of trying to help Tim out a little.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:31 AM, CentralMAsurfcaster said:

Just the back. Seems to get the most hits. 

55 mins ago, IamFish said:

Anyone been fishing the island lately?  Curious if the dogfish were still everywhere.

Heading our Saturday. 

Have to move around to avoid them.

I'll be out there Saturday, also.

Docks at state parks in Newport have been productive for me; haven't gotten off the shore this season. I recommend a high low with lightest bucktail possible to stay down on the low and a baitholder on the high. Fluke go nuts for Gulp soft plastics which hold up better than spearing/worms for my money. Hoping to find some non-crowded open sand myself. Good luck.