cbchurch

Penn 710 green bail roller spin?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

56 mins ago, avet4life said:

It call line roller,, so yes it spin,, most likely it is rusted and stuck.

Avet; Thanks for your reply. Do you have experience with the green 710s? I have 4 of these old 710s, have used them for 50 years, have never seen the "rollers" spin. Mine aren't rusted, they are perfectly maintained.

Edited by cbchurch

I have not personally work on, 710,,, but work on 712, 714 , 720, 722,,, and all the line roller do roll,

See schematic and part of bail with roller

Screenshot_20200617-202005_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20200617-202221_Chrome.jpg

if you open one of your 710 bail where the roller at,, take a close pictures it should have a roller ,, but it could be long time and corrosion and all stuck.

39 mins ago, avet4life said:

if you open one of your 710 bail where the roller at,, take a close pictures it should have a roller ,, but it could be long time and corrosion and all stuck.

Thanks Avet, but like I said, these reels have always been perfectly maintained.

20 mins ago, cbchurch said:

Thanks Avet, but like I said, these reels have always been perfectly maintained.

i am asking if reel is maintain ,, you as if the roller roll , i ans that it should roll,,

- best that you open the roller and take close up pictures and see,

- maybe i am wrong that the roller section do not have roller at all ,.

I have many 7XX series reels that I've refurbed over the years.  Not one line roller on them will turn continuously with any of the slick braids uses these days.  They turn enough to not have the line cut into them, but that's all.  turns fine with the mono that was originally on these reels, as long as they are clean and lubricated.  I have a few 704's that I've modded to 706's that work flawlessly.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a couple dozen green and black 700 series reels too. The old green 710s have a carbide roller, and I wonder if Penn put that in there knowing the roller wouldn't roll. I maintain these perfectly, and the 710 roller will not spin with any tension on the line on any of my 4 green 710s. They are off to ebay or BST  due to this.

Edited by cbchurch

20 hours ago, avet4life said:

I have not personally work on, 710,,, but work on 712, 714 , 720, 722,,, and all the line roller do roll,

See schematic and part of bail with roller

Screenshot_20200617-202005_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20200617-202221_Chrome.jpg

Avet, that parts diagram shows the new style bail and roller, which does in fact roll.