FishingmaniYaks

Kayak U.S. Coast guard briefing

12 posts in this topic

Was boarded by the coast guard/fish and game today on my kayak in the RB and they were very awesome guys. Want to point out here for anybody wanting to know. They are now giving decals with you to fill out in case of kayak/person separation they can get you the kayak back or get in touch in case of a missing person situation. They are safety checking and will ask you to leave the water if these checks are not met due to the recent fatalities this year. You "must" have a pfd, audible saftey device, and if possible a vhf which is only recommended. Pretty much common sense rules of boating. They are issuing fines for fish that are harvested without the Saltwater registration and he told me no ifs ands or buts. They stated their presence will be made going forward and to keep the safety sheet on board to make the next stop much faster. 

Be safe and please wear a PFD.

50 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Was boarded by the coast guard/fish and game today on my kayak in the RB and they were very awesome guys. Want to point out here for anybody wanting to know. They are now giving decals with you to fill out in case of kayak/person separation they can get you the kayak back or get in touch in case of a missing person situation. They are safety checking and will ask you to leave the water if these checks are not met due to the recent fatalities this year. You "must" have a pfd, audible saftey device, and if possible a vhf which is only recommended. Pretty much common sense rules of boating. They are issuing fines for fish that are harvested without the Saltwater registration and he told me no ifs ands or buts. They stated their presence will be made going forward and to keep the safety sheet on board to make the next stop much faster. 

Be safe and please wear a PFD.

Does anyone know if you need to have the saltwater registration printed out? or can you have it on your phone?

So they only care about if you have saltwater reg and fish in possession. Not worried if you are fishing with or without registration ?

They asked and told me if I had it or not. I said yes I do. While getting it he then stated if I were to have harvested fish without the registration they would be handing summons out. I understand the situation and if he were to just give warnings out then nothing would be done to protect the waters. It's more of the poaching aspect I felt he was getting at.  So just better have the registration if you are fishing and absolutely if you are harvesting. I have had warnings for not having the registration before but the official was pretty stern about it. Seems with these kayak accidents this year they are pushing for safer waters and enforcing it. Coast guard/fish and game.

and make sure you have your navigation light if you plan to fish before sunrise or after sunset. I have been checked twice [when sun was setting ]for that reason. I took down my flag-light and just turn it on for them.  

These stickers could be obtained at your local USCG post. I emailed the self-addressed stamped envelope to them and got  couple of those stickers later.

I was out yesterday in the kayak and noticed they were hot on checking most boats. Even seen a state police get called over and then the boat proceeded to follow the patrol boat in to land. Possible alchohol while operating the vessel. Some may think it's a pain in the arse but for the guys that do the right it's great to see. I got washed out by a big boat from the rear and the guy yelled out "no kayaker out here" my VHF went crazy with guys yelling at the boat and I was asked if I was ok. The commoradity is awesome when there. Most of the head boats even will say hello to me on the radio and how is the fishing. You will most likely get the same in return. They even put me on fish!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/19/2020 at 9:57 PM, oceanAddict said:

These stickers could be obtained at your local USCG post. I emailed the self-addressed stamped envelope to them and got  couple of those stickers later.

Any fishing show will have a table some where with those orange Coast Guard Stickers.

Even sharpie marker will wear off over time though so make sure your info is legible.

Edited by SwimBait