Weymouth/Hingham

Rate this topic

Riley1964

Been doing some wade fly fishing in Weymouth at Webb Memorial Park - nice spot for wading, have had limited success from micros to 26" but not a lot of fish.  Wondering if anyone wants to share any wade-able areas with parking access (not your specific honey hole) in the weymouth/Hingham area.  Got fish on white and olive and white puglisi brush flies - if anyone has other suggestions for predominant bait in the area or what tides they favor it is appreciated.  

3 hours ago, Riley1964 said:

Been doing some wade fly fishing in Weymouth at a local park - nice spot for wading, have had limited success from micros to 26" but not a lot of fish.  Wondering if anyone wants to share any wade-able areas with parking access (not your specific honey hole) in the weymouth/Hingham area.  Got fish on white and olive and white puglisi brush flies - if anyone has other suggestions for predominant bait in the area or what tides they favor it is appreciated.  

Riley as this is a public forum members are unlikely to post an spot specific information on here.  Its bad enough On the Water is constantly burning spots up and down the east cost with their weekly reports.  I would consider revising your post to look like my revision above.  You are new on here so its not big deal and that location is already well know, but its generally good practice not to mention spots on here in general.

There are several members of the South Shore Fly Casters that live in Hingham and Weymouth.  You could check out their website and consider joining as a general "free" member or possibly becoming a paid member.  If you get to know some members I am sure one of them will help you find a few more places to fish.  I would tell you that in general its all about "timing" to find bigger fish or more consistent numbers of fish.  I fish the general area you are considering, but exclusively at night.  I think if you ready my night fly fishing thread that information is directly applicable to where you plan to fish. 

The predominant forage in that area is silversides and alewives for fin fish with some occasional intrusions by bunker and sea herring during the summer and in the more brackish portions up river mumichogs/killiefish as well as american eels.  In June you are going to see adult silversides starting to exit the estuary as spawning is completed and you will see a lot of grass shrimp activity as well as worms and green crabs.  The shrimp activity at night can produce massive feeding activity and a lot of frustration as getting a good drift with right fly is challenging, but it can be done.  I would highly suggest purchasing Rich Murphy's book "Fly Fishing for Striped Bass" and Ed Mitchell's book "Fly Rodding Estuaries" they are both directly applicable to water types in Hingham and Weymouth.  There is no "perfect tide" I would challenge you to fish the spot you have been going regularly from 4-7am for several weeks.  Then you have seen it at every stage of the tide through several moon phases.  Understanding how the water moves at a spot is the first step to catching fish.  If you don't know that then its impossible to predict bait movements through the area or when conditions will set up for ambush locations along the shore.  The nice thing is once you truly master what the tides do at a spot like they are predictable and eliminate one major element of figuring out how to find fish at the right time and place.   Some of the tides that produce my biggest fish were not initially what I would have suspected when I first started fishing the location it took a lot of grinding out hours through different tides to find those patterns they do not come easy.   

In general if you are not willing to fish at night your best bet is to fish 1 hour before and 2 hours after the listed sunrise.  In general night fishing is slower paced you catch fish here and there not in rapid succession with a much higher chance of getting larger fish on average than in daytime.  Most of the high number and high paced fishing I have had comes in that early morning predawn through dawn window.  I have caught plenty of big bass too during that time window so you are not eliminating your shot at big fish by skipping night for sunrise.   At about 45-50 mins before sunrise you have enough light to see enough to assist with your fly casting mechanics.  One of the big drivers in this area that seems to hinder fishing is ferry and boat activity.  Once that human activity picks up pace by mid morning I generally don't see shore fishing being very good.  So getting up early is very important in my opinion.  I know a lot of people say sunset is a good time.  I have never had much luck at last light, but I also have not put a ton of time into that window as I have young kids and seeing them in the evening after work is my only time with them so I rarely fish that window anymore.

Welcome to the SOL Fly Fishing Forum.