Billy29

18' for Long Island Sound

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Here is the deal,  I'm looking for a boat for the Northshore of Long Island. I will be primarily in the Smithtown Bay area. I'm looking to just get out there spend some time with my dad. I will have to launch the boat myself and want something I can easily handle. I may trailer it the southshore on occasion 18-21 feet seems to be where I'm at. Looking for a strong fishing boat with minimal frills. What would you guys recommend?

Center console Whaler or Mako. Can't go wrong on the sound, back bays, grass area's, skinny water, rocks. Plenty of good spots to get into. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My 20' Maritime skiff was a great boat; easy to trailer, got me out in the ocean east of Chatham for Bluefin tuna on good days, and up on the flats in Cape Cod Bay for stripers . Dry, stable, no frills.Older used boat that I bought a new 115 Suzuki for. I had an 18' Maritime before that; also a great boat but too small for the ocean..... Might be just right for North shore LI and the south shore bays.

Edited by cbchurch

5 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

….. all boats are small in the ocean.

it's not the size of the boat....you know the rest. 

I'm not going to do any ocean fishing. I do like to go into back harbors and shoot out to the middle grounds on nice days. I don't have grady white money. In a perfect world I would find something nice with a four stroke for $15,000. I looked at a Parker 1801. It was really nice. Wondering how it compares to a Scout, Sea Hunt or Key West?

I'd take the PArker over the others, but second the maritime skiff if it's strictly fishing with Dad, not a lot of creature comforts, but a good platform for fishing the sound.

If it were me, I'd buy a restored Mako or Seacraft with new power, or restore it myself. But I'm weird about them.

5 hours ago, Billy29 said:

Here is the deal,  I'm looking for a boat for the Northshore of Long Island. I will be primarily in the Smithtown Bay area. I'm looking to just get out there spend some time with my dad. I will have to launch the boat myself and want something I can easily handle. I may trailer it the southshore on occasion 18-21 feet seems to be where I'm at. Looking for a strong fishing boat with minimal frills. What would you guys recommend?

21 would be perfect for nearly any conditions you want to fish in on the N/S

a 21 parker center would be my choice

19 hours ago, Billy29 said:

I'm not going to do any ocean fishing. I do like to go into back harbors and shoot out to the middle grounds on nice days. I don't have grady white money. In a perfect world I would find something nice with a four stroke for $15,000. I looked at a Parker 1801. It was really nice. Wondering how it compares to a Scout, Sea Hunt or Key West?

Scout is a nice brand. Higher end than Sea Hunt or Key West. So they're a little more pricy. Sea Hunt/Key West/Tidewater are all about the same. Good Mid Tier boats that are a good value. Parker/Maycraft/Carolina Skiff/ Chawk are all mostly bare bones fishing hulls that get you on the water. Parker being the one of the top boats in the category IMO. 15k will get you a newish/used 18" or a well used 20+ depending on the brand. I doubt you can find a Scout anywhere in the last decade for 15k. Same with any 20+ in the mid tier category that doesn't need significant work. So I'd be lookin at the bare bones class of boats Parker/Maycraft/Carolina Skiff/Chawk