Birdsnester

Most overrated, over hyped, over advertised, over publicized bait

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, z-man said:

Are all Joe Baggs baits made in the US? If they are then that’s great but most of them look like rebranded Chinese baits. 

If those Swaggers or swarthers or what ever the hell are made in USA i will swim across the canal naked in a burger king crown. 

Could have swore i have seen those resin jigs somewhere else? Maybe not, :)

Edited by fvgourami3

24 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

If those Swaggers or swarthers or what ever the hell are made in USA i will swim across the canal naked in a burger king crown. 

Agreed. I doubt the hooks and skirts of those fluke jigs are made in the US either. Probably just assembled here. I’m trying to buy as little Chinese products as possible after what they did to the world with Covid-19. It’s pretty difficult though. 

To me, it's not more of the lure but the assortment of colors of the lures. Yes, there are times where a certain color works better than most but, in a sense, I believe the big assortment of colors specifically in the SP minnow and Hydro minnow case, there are a lot of colors that are practically useless in a majority of situations. It's more of an attempt to attract fishermen than fish. If you have a white, yellow, or dark shade lure in your bag, you'll be more than well equip to handle any situation revolving color day or night. Of course the discussion of profiles is another thing but in the case of colors, you will only need the 3. Just my personal opinion but hey throwing a parrot colored SP and nailing fish makes a good tale to tell and looks really good on camera haha

5 hours ago, fvgourami3 said:

I listened to him give a talk back in surfday and he used to catch 100 bass a night in his conn days so anything is possible.  

On 6/25/2020 at 9:34 AM, CWitek said:

Because I like other things pinned to the transom. 

Cedar plugs and/or some sort of jet or heavy straight runner off the gunwhale.  Green Machine bar on one short rigger, Moldcraft Hooker on the other.  Then mid-rigger, either a Green Machine or a Shute/ballyhoo behind the bar, and a squid bar behind the Hooker.  Long rigger is a Shute/ballyhoo behind the squid bar, and a D-4 Doornob, Green Machine or other straight runner on the other side.  Short center rigger might be a plug or a heavy straight runner and ballyhoo if I think there are wahoo around, or a grass-skirt Zucker if I'm only looking for tuna.  Long center is usually a Shute/ballyhoo, but could be a squid chain or a Moldcraft Hooker Jr.  if I'm looking for a bigger mahi.

It's a compact pattern that's easy to maneuver, easy to clean when the grass is thick, and has worked very well for quite a few years.  Every now and then, I move new things around in the pattern, including the wide trackers, to see if theyu improve it.  The wide trackers, in particular, have left me notably unimpressed.  Fish don't seem to eat them any quicker than they do the standard bars, and they introduce a level of inefficiency into my cockpit, which is a particular problem if I onlyt have one other person on board.

Interesting.  We do ok with the Doorknobs.  You're only other person I've ever heard mention them.

13 hours ago, fvgourami3 said:

action is so nice, but I never get anything on mine.

Not many of us do it seems. I want to admit something to everyone. I fell for this lure. I bought into the damn hype of I-Cast. NEVER...AGAIN....

I’ve never heard is half the stuff you guys mention lol.  I started this post in part to hopefully get an idea what Not to buy lol.   Fun post!

Can we just switch the name of this thread most overhyped fishing product?  

If that's the case? 

Black Hole 

40 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I’ve never heard is half the stuff you guys mention lol.  I started this post in part to hopefully get an idea what Not to buy lol.   Fun post!

Me either!  And here I am gettin tweaked on $8 Kastmaster being made in China. I need to come outta my cave more often. 

On 6/27/2020 at 4:53 PM, CaryGreene said:

Throw your T-Shirt over the seagull & i't a cake walk freeing them up. I get them constantly. Use your foot if needed to apply light pressure on the bird. Just make sure to give 'em a drink if he says he's thirsty. Also, don't have your friends stand around and watch without helping the bird - not a good look. 

I tried that with a cormorant and the thing went ballistic. Two trebles in him. Not gonna lie, I just cut the line.

19 hours ago, fvgourami3 said:

this it?

U364767f597264f2793fce8581b798181u.jpg

13 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Interesting.  We do ok with the Doorknobs.  You're only other person I've ever heard mention them.

They were always more of a marlin lure, that got some play in the Bahamas, the Caribbean and in Hawaii.  But tuna eat them pretty well, too,.

In recent years, lures that plunge and smoke, like the Hooker and the Doornobs, seem to have fallen out of favor, at least up here, but we've taken some of our largest tuna on them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

49 mins ago, Reed422 said:

this it?

U364767f597264f2793fce8581b798181u.jpg

Hahaha exactly. Who ever was insulting me for not buying American companies in the previous posts needs to wake up and work on their fibbing. I don't know if that was Baggs or not. But it is important to support our local USA tackle companies as much as possible. Its not ok to lie about your products and say they are made in USA when they are not. I get parts of the baits are outsourced, like hooks, but don't be a liar. 

I was refering to the Joe baggs resin jigs. A few companies including Fish snax have the same jig on the market. My guess is that they are outsourced and packaged for different companies in China. 

Heres a picture. 

what a joke!!!  Overrated for sure! LMAO

Top pic is fish snax, bottom pic is Joe Saggs. 

hard-snax-group-1.jpg

download-1.jpg

Edited by fvgourami3

1 hour ago, fvgourami3 said:

Hahaha exactly. Who ever was insulting me for not buying American companies in the previous posts needs to wake up and work on their fibbing. I don't know if that was Baggs or not. But it is important to support our local USA tackle companies as much as possible. Its not ok to lie about your products and say they are made in USA when they are not. I get parts of the baits are outsourced, like hooks, but don't be a liar. 

I was refering to the Joe baggs resin jigs. A few companies including Fish snax have the same jig on the market. My guess is that they are outsourced and packaged for different companies in China. 

Heres a picture. 

what a joke!!!  Overrated for sure! LMAO

hard-snax-group-1.jpg

download-1.jpg

it's crazy the lures on alibaba. So many look like either knock offs or they get them out of china and repackage them.

11 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Not many of us do it seems. I want to admit something to everyone. I fell for this lure. I bought into the damn hype of I-Cast. NEVER...AGAIN....

I caught one on the suspending sand eel color today! Just to prove a point. My friend had 10 fish before i hooked up lol.