Birdsnester

Most overrated, over hyped, over advertised, over publicized bait

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

I like SP but I can't disagree they're hyped.  I can see where those newer to the surf that haven't used redfin or long A would think SP is the holy grail.  However, that type lure has been around for a long time.....what the SP (and the many others of that style lure) has improved on is casting.

9 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

So last week there was a huge push of squid where I am, and fluking hasn't really kicked off too well yet. I pulled out a Savage squid to try it and caught like 20 bass in an hour, nothing huge but mostly around keeper size. Funny you brought it up because I actually recommend that bait

0CE2EFD6-9424-40D6-942A-011DB0E0B741.jpeg

Nice! You have given me confidence to toss it out there again! 

3 hours ago, BARhopper said:

image2_v_1451241010.jpeg

The Helicopter Lure! I knew it was pure BS the first time I saw the commercial. That was many years ago. I was going to mention this lure but wasn’t sure anyone would even remember it. From what I heard,  Roland Martin almost went broke with this. Probably the stupidest lure ever made and a really bad business decision on his part. 

12 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I never fished chatter.. But i do fish sterling's wide tracker... Not sure if the hype is around Chatters port and starboard selectable wide tracker....

What I can say about Sterling's is.... They work... They get out fairly wide without deploying the outriggers. 

And if we want can sent three off each rigger using these... (not that it's been needed) 

I pull three lures off each 'rigger now, so that has no impact on how they fish.  The wide trackers are new, so they get hyped.  When they get hyped, people use them.  And when people use something, they catch fish on it.  But having pulled both wide trackers and standard bars in the same pattern, do the wide trackers catch more fish?  Not for me.  

In fact, I find that they hamper my fishing style, because I can't use a wide-tracker style bar to serve as a teaser running ahead of a ballyhoo or a single lure, I can't turn as tightly with them to maneuver on nervous bait or breaking fish, etc.

The right way to test them is to run a control group of lures on one side of the boat, then put the wide runners in the same position on the other side, and see where the fish are caught.  Then the next trip, do the same thing but switch sides, to prevent any unconscious biases (you may tend to watch one side more than the other, and be more likely to spot bait or fish as a result), and keep track of where the fish are caught.

So far, on my boat, the wide runners have never outfished the standard bars.

On 6/17/2020 at 9:19 AM, carznfish said:

20+ dollar plastic swimming minnow plugs with ****** hooks and rings 

Is this referring to SPs? Who the hell is charging that much for them?

23 mins ago, Frede said:

What the.....?  How the....?

I think it was some info-mercial thing, maybe Helicopter Lure?

4 mins ago, SC said:

I think it was some info-mercial thing, maybe Helicopter Lure?

Found a youtube with Roland catching fish on it.....seems he believes in it 100%  It's is a texas-rigged buzz bait I guess. 

i caught a seagull who dove on my yozuri sardine mag-darter.  had to reel him in and hold him down, trying to not get bit, and unhook the treble from his footweb 

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

was going to mention this lure but wasn’t sure anyone would even remember it

Bought a bunch of these at the shrewsbury building 19 in 7th grade. Caught a big ol larry I’ll never forget. Also learned about swivels line twist and ‘wind’ knots.  Don’t regret it.

Edited by Bait Tailer

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 6:25 AM, BARhopper said:

image2_v_1451241010.jpeg

HAH!!! I haven't thought about those in years.  They caused terrible line twist.  A friend of mine's dad had some that he gave us.  They were a lot of fun in farm ponds just for the novelty of it.  Those bass would have eaten sunglasses if I would have thrown them out there, so I don't think our success speaks to their efficacy.  It was pretty neat when you could sight fish a bass and watch them eat it on the fall as it "helicoptered" down.