Birdsnester

Most overrated, over hyped, over advertised, over publicized bait

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

ODM Hybrid Glider. This was over advertised all over social media on all platform when it dropped. Everybody I knew went out to get one like it's a 'must have' lure in your bag. Rarely see people catch anything with it. On top of that $40 for a manufactured plug with angry bird looking eyes. No thank you. People buy into the hype too much these days. 

49 mins ago, CWitek said:

Sometimes I have seen color make a difference, mostly with bass, but not often.  On the other hand, it certainly makes a difference with lure sales.

I agree.  I think any light, dark and in between shade is more important than amazingly detailed paint job.  This season there's a crazy amount blowfish mixed in with the bunker.  For this reason I think maybe, just maybe, chrome-ish is out-fishing other plugs.  I believe bass think they would rather eat a bunker than deal with a blowfish.  Yes, he said "bass think" lol.  Wonder if a blowfish plug will become available and overhyped... 

11 mins ago, Dah seee said:

ODM Hybrid Glider. This was over advertised all over social media on all platform when it dropped. Everybody I knew went out to get one like it's a 'must have' lure in your bag. Rarely see people catch anything with it. On top of that $40 for a manufactured plug with angry bird looking eyes. No thank you. People buy into the hype too much these days. 

My buddy demo'ed his is the calm bay the other day.  It has a very cool action but I have never seen a baitfish swim that way.  

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

Can't speak directly to needlefish, but I've caught a lot of tuna, and won my share of tournament checks, pulling nothing but green lures.  Can't tell you how many times I've been out there and everyone on the radio is agreeing that "today's color is pink and white," or blue and white, or black and purple, or something else, and I'm still doing as well or better on green.  And probably would have done just as well on another color.

Caught a lot of fish on cedar jigs, too, and they're nothing but a hunk of raw wood with a lead head.

Sometimes I have seen color make a difference, mostly with bass, but not often.  On the other hand, it certainly makes a difference with lure sales.

I think that radio chatter is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.  Guys hear black and purple is working and they switch to that color and low and behold...it catches.  I think theres a good chance that if they dragged whatever their original bait over the same fish, theres a good chance of getting bit anyway. 

I have certainly seen color matter with bass but I completely agree that its not the norm.  Profile always means much more to me than color.

Lunkerhunt and Savage Gear stuff I think. I have no doubt the turtles, snakes and bats will get hit but they are freakin ridiculous and even more expensive. 

15 mins ago, bbfish said:

I think that radio chatter is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.  Guys hear black and purple is working and they switch to that color and low and behold...it catches.  I think theres a good chance that if they dragged whatever their original bait over the same fish, theres a good chance of getting bit anyway. 

Exactly.

The first guy hooks up on pink and white, announces it on the radio, so everybody switches to pink and white, and by the end of the day, it's what all the fish were taken on because it's all the people were using.

You're trying to catch something with a brain the size of a small lima bean.  It's not going to swim around reasoning whether something is the right color, size, etc.  It sees something splashing on the surface doing 8 knots or so,l which means it must be alive, which means it must be food.  Cut the fish open, and you'll find various things inside, most of which look different from each other.

The one exception to that is when there is one dominant bait in the area, often sand eels or small bait of some sort.  Then, size and silhouette can make a big difference, as fish focus on a specific search image and don't eat anything that falls outside of the parameters.  But color, when trolling offshore, has never made a difference for me.

I know I am going to get a lot of criticism for this but the most overhyped bait ever is the Yamamoto Senko. That’s right the holy sacred senko worshiped by bass fishermen everywhere! Way overrated! Oh yes I did!!!...I have caught waaay more bass on Berkeley power worms. And for the price senkos are now, Gary Yomamoto can shove every single one he makes!

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

The one exception to that is when there is one dominant bait in the area, often sand eels or small bait of some sort.  Then, size and silhouette can make a big difference, as fish focus on a specific search image and don't eat anything that falls outside of the parameters.  But color, when trolling offshore, has never made a difference for me.

Seems you've been walking some beaches along with the boating.  I also think sand fleas can make things interesting.  I've taken some notes past few seasons (not that I'm obsessed) and it seems like bass feed on sand fleas in extremely specific ways.  Speaking of sand fleas is there any hype out there on these?

91a5MQI-GQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Savage sandeel, especially the heads. The hooks in particular are complete crap. For half the price you can get a pack of good jigheads with solid SS hooks, pair them with whatever plastic you want and go fishing.