Birdsnester

Most overrated, over hyped, over advertised, over publicized bait

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

50 mins ago, Inshore said:

ROFL!!!!!!!!!! :stick:

DC32AEA5-9485-4B67-BFFD-2F3089337A60.jpeg

Can't even begin to count the amount of Fluke I have killed with that on my teaser.

Chatterbait spreader bars.

Yes, they catch fish, but no better than a standard bar.  They're been getting hyped the last couple of years far and above their actjual value.  

1 hour ago, TopwaterPete said:

Savage Gear 3D squids, topwater bat lures, etc. That company's marketing team gets an A+, but their lures, not so much!

ha i have a couple of squid baits probably that one that I'll never use

46 mins ago, CWitek said:

Chatterbait spreader bars.

Yes, they catch fish, but no better than a standard bar.  They're been getting hyped the last couple of years far and above their actjual value.  

You touched on something here.  Case in point, the black needlefish which I've been using since they first came out with tremendous success.  However, when I hear I MUST also have the "Blurple" needlefish in addition to the black one for the neap tide on tuesdays I smile.  I suspect the angler that is confident blurple will out-fish black will use more care in technique when fishing that color.  That's my theory which is worth what you paid me for it.      

1 min ago, Frede said:

You touched on something here.  Case in point, the black needlefish which I've been using since they first came out with tremendous success.  However, when I hear I MUST also have the "Blurple" needlefish in addition to the black one for the neap tide on tuesdays I smile.  I suspect the angler that is confident blurple will out-fish black will use more care in technique when fishing that color.  That's my theory which is worth what you paid me for it.      

Can't speak directly to needlefish, but I've caught a lot of tuna, and won my share of tournament checks, pulling nothing but green lures.  Can't tell you how many times I've been out there and everyone on the radio is agreeing that "today's color is pink and white," or blue and white, or black and purple, or something else, and I'm still doing as well or better on green.  And probably would have done just as well on another color.

Caught a lot of fish on cedar jigs, too, and they're nothing but a hunk of raw wood with a lead head.

Sometimes I have seen color make a difference, mostly with bass, but not often.  On the other hand, it certainly makes a difference with lure sales.

38 mins ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I never had luck with yozuri minnows. I know I will get a lot of pushback since people love them.

I've done well the last 2 nights with a Hydro-Minnow.  It's my "current confidence" lure but no way I'm going to push back on you and here's why.  I'd been using SP Minnows with a great success when my son bought me the Hydro as a gift.  I debated exchanging it for an SP but decided to keep it, and on a slow night, I put it on....well first cast I landed my best Striped Bass in 6 yrs.  The lure is now go-to confidence lure and still producing bass regularly.  The Hydro does have a slightly different wiggle and bite than an SP but I think it's more me than the lure.   

20200614_203819.jpg

1 hour ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I never had luck with yozuri minnows. I know I will get a lot of pushback since people love them.

Me either.  

But I gave a bunch to my nephew and he slays em. 

What he does different than I is a mystery