SalmonAndStriper Stalker

what turtle is this

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

spotted this sunning on a rock in a salt pond. was thinking a painted turtle but not sure if they like salt.

20200616_103801.jpg

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

7 mins ago, z-man said:

Maybe a diamondback terrapin

thought it was one and after more research it is indeed a diamondback terrapin. I found a baby turtle about 3in long while claming a couple weeks ago on an open beachfront. took the little guy to a salt creek and I guess I made the right move. apparently they live almost their whole life in the salt marsh.

They have a number of breeding pairs in 100 acre cove in Seekonk.  I see them through the upper bay.  They are really cool. 

They are cool turtles. They also used to be hunted/trapped commercially a long time ago...now I believe they are protected. I've seen more of them in the past 10 years than the previous 30 :th: 

When I was growing oysters for the town of Bourne, I used to have hundreds of oyster pouches up inside Eel Pond and Back River.  When I approached the pouches by boat to work on them, each pouch would have three or four terrapin on it.    They use them like a little floating islands where they would lay in the sun all day, keep warm and eat the marine growth off them.  

Interesting. I have seen and knew they were in Wellfleet but was not aware they were found in these other areas. Anyone know if they are known to be found in the Weweantic? I have seen turtles there this spring and wondered if they were diamondback terrapins.

I moved one to the side of the road (in the direction she was going in) right before the Weweantic bridge on rt 6 this time last year.  There is a 6” curb there as well as a steep bank to get down to the river.   I actually caught one on the fly rod a couple weeks ago.  Fortunately I was fishing barbless and just caught the edge of her front right flipper.  After I released her she surfaced a few minutes later to give me the stare.  I also measured a large nine inch female crossing the road this past week.  I’ve observed them laying eggs which is cool and mostly takes place the next couple of weeks.  We have some official folks studying them / counting them and potential nests this year.  They plot them on a map.  We also have lots of Fox and raccoons hanging around this year.  I was told that the eggs are real vulnerable in the nest until a rain which helps was away any scent.