Southcoastphil

Who's Doin' the Mambo?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm debating what to do with these--fish as is, load them to fish, sell them, or trade them for something (RedFins?).

E998DE40-A022-43BE-9A1D-CE462CFECF7B.jpeg.fbdb513249a57e61f4cb04d699d013e7.jpeg

The (27g) Smokey Joe (top left) and the two 5" (both are 12g) have decal eyes, which I've never seen on MMs before (which does not mean a darned thing!).  (Their lips got "Sharpied" due to Covid boredom a few months ago.)

The (30g) gold foil looks like the best finish, with the holographic gold scales under the clear plastic outer layer. 

The (30g) bunker color is also new, and it's the only one with any markings on it.  ("GAG'S GRABBERS", near the tail.)  Unlike the gold one, all of the finish is on top of the plastic body.  (Ditto for the Smokey Joe.)

You can also see scales on the (29g) brown one.  When I got it several years ago, it had many layers of yellow & white paint on it, which I sanded off during the winter.  Only after sanding did I notice the holes for loading.  The white dot fore of the belly hanger is from using CA/baking soda mix to fill that hole, and you can see the 1/8" hole that I filled with CA on the shoulder just aft of the eye that I painted with gold nail polish.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that brown scale layer, some of which has come away from the shell due to (I assume) the water that had been inside the body for who knows how long, so I plan to keep it mostly in that color.  

Are these from different timeframes?

The 5" black back/chrome could be a good start for a "baby striper" pattern. 

Have any of you loaded either size Mambo?  In the dozens of threads that I've read on loading plastic swimmers I don't recall seeing a single mention of loading MMs, but I've read several times that they're solid bodies, not hollow, so cannot be loaded.  The brown one is quite obviously hollow, as we can all see.  Given the similar weights, it's hard to believe that the other large ones are anything but hollow.  The 5" feel hollow as well.

so ...

Although I've yet to fish MMs, my research indicates that their behavior is between RedFins and Bombers.  Swimming closer to the surface than Bombers, or even on top of the water column with the slowest of retrieves, but they don't have the RF "surface waggle".

I'd be willing to give loading a try, using the traditional guidelines of ~10cc water (=10g) for one or more of the 7", and ~5cc water (=5g) for the 5", primarily to be able to fish them closer to the surface in bigger currents.  

Have any of you loaded them?  Why?  Did it work the way you'd planned?

What about softening the base of the lip with heat, then bending it down a bit to get the lure swimming right on top, similar to a RF?  Since they don't swim very deep to begin with, I'm not planning to trim back any of the lips.  (But I'm open to learning from you sharpies who've tried it.)

Looking forward to your ideas, as always.

Edited by Southcoastphil

I LOVE my 5" mambo minnows. Used to troll them at the Merrimack River on the flats with 7ft spin rods. Now its the first or second lure I throw off the beaches in cape cod bay/Brewster flats. Batson 967-F 8ft rod & 20lb PP

I fish them as is.

good luck

5 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

I LOVE my 5" mambo minnows. Used to troll them at the Merrimack River on the flats with 7ft spin rods. Now its the first or second lure I throw off the beaches in cape cod bay/Brewster flats. Batson 967-F 8ft rod & 20lb PP

I fish them as is.

good luck

Thanks, that's good to know.

Are you rigging them with a pair of size 2s?  Or a size 1 on the belly and a flag on the tail?  Or something else?

Dad loves his mambo minnows.  I am less than enthused, but have a few.  He swears by them though.  And he has caught a heck of a lot more fish than I have.  

My understanding is that Mambos were made by a company in Pennsylvania and sold in bulk to others, who then resold them. Along the way, the lures were sometimes modified for market, or someone had a special run done. 

What I think you have is lures from different sources that all came from the same factory. 

Of course, molds do wear out, and variations occur as molds are changed. I am not aware of anyone caring about mold changes in Mambos over the years. I do prefer some other baits from one mold over another, but can't say I have ever been able to notice a difference with Mambos. 

Kind of a neat topic if someone who knows more than I do would chime in. 

In calm water it is my favorite, but I have never caught a fish on it. I use a black Mamba with a black teaser and that teaser in front of that plug has been deadly.

Great plugs I’ve never loaded them but they are definitely hollow. I’ve always had success with them but they were hard to find for awhile and I only know of a couple stores that have recently gotten them.

I believe Gags grabbers was sold years ago and not too long after that they became hard and then near impossible to find. I got a few new ones recently and they are not exactly the same as the old ones but they still work. 

3 hours ago, Mvstripers said:

Great plugs I’ve never loaded them but they are definitely hollow. I’ve always had success with them but they were hard to find for awhile and I only know of a couple stores that have recently gotten them.

I believe Gags grabbers was sold years ago and not too long after that they became hard and then near impossible to find. I got a few new ones recently and they are not exactly the same as the old ones but they still work. 

As I understand it, much of the plugs side of the business was sold to (or became?) 247Lures.  Although 247 has focused on extending their needles product line, they still sell some of the old Gag's favorites, including the Flippin Mullet, Squid-Zee and the Pocket Rocket.  

The site for GagsGrabbers is still up, for some reason.  (Just add the COMmon suffix after the "dot".)   No contact info on it, much less any way to order, but the old plastic lures are pretty cool, like the Rattling Popper:

5ee98d06e1cab_GGFRP5-PCPolishedChrome.jpg.d4237a4b946c05c0507f10a40ae3d689.jpg

They show some pretty neat colors of MMs too.

Silver Holographic:

5ee98d2a1454d_GGSMM-16sSilverHolographicPurpleBack5inchONLY.jpg.7744c1b6c0d43fc25a0accf719d17ba9.jpg

Herring: 

5ee98d2b3ec4e_GGSMM-42HerringPowderBlueBackOrchidSideWhiteBelly.jpg.ab5d848caeed635ee14d689dd5d7feec.jpg

Weakfish (V. cool, IMO!):

5ee98d2c6cccb_GGSMM-90WeakfishBrownOverBluePearlwithScales.jpg.748b51f8663ba84cd5532abc02582835.jpg

I'm not aware of any firms making MMs today.  Does anyone know if they're in production somewhere?

8 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

As I understand it, much of the plugs side of the business was sold to (or became?) 247Lures.  Although 247 has focused on extending their needles product line, they still sell some of the old Gag's favorites, including the Flippin Mullet, Squid-Zee and the Pocket Rocket.  

The site for GagsGrabbers is still up, for some reason.  (Just add the COMmon suffix after the "dot".)   No contact info on it, much less any way to order, but the old plastic lures are pretty cool, like the Rattling Popper:

5ee98d06e1cab_GGFRP5-PCPolishedChrome.jpg.d4237a4b946c05c0507f10a40ae3d689.jpg

They show some pretty neat colors of MMs too.

Silver Holographic:

5ee98d2a1454d_GGSMM-16sSilverHolographicPurpleBack5inchONLY.jpg.7744c1b6c0d43fc25a0accf719d17ba9.jpg

Herring: 

5ee98d2b3ec4e_GGSMM-42HerringPowderBlueBackOrchidSideWhiteBelly.jpg.ab5d848caeed635ee14d689dd5d7feec.jpg

Weakfish (V. cool, IMO!):

5ee98d2c6cccb_GGSMM-90WeakfishBrownOverBluePearlwithScales.jpg.748b51f8663ba84cd5532abc02582835.jpg

I'm not aware of any firms making MMs today.  Does anyone know if they're in production somewhere?

Rattling popper!!  

I bought a bunch of those and MM and my 1st surf combo at the Springfield show in the mid 90s when I was a young teen!  

I just gave my last MM to my nephew the other day. 

The mambo is one of my go to herring run lures, especially for skinny water with some decent current.  Glad i picked up a bunch before Gaggs sold.  Its really frustrating when great plugs stop being produced.