Dustyn

Fishfider rig and distance

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm fishing 8ought circles with bunker chunks and a 6 oz of lead. Running a seigler, with 50lb braid to fg 60lb casting leader (suffix) about 20' to a swivel and 20" of leader snelled circle. With the plastic twist on slip sinker attachment above the swivel.

I guess my question is, can I shorten my bait leader to 10" and still be productive?

Is there a different rig I should be using?

I'm fishing open surf. 

Edited by Dustyn

I heave 2 rods when chunking, one reg with a 12-16" leader and one for distance with a 3-6". I use 2 12" rods, one with a penn torque100x mag (20lb mono, 60 shock) and a 525 mag (15lb mono, 60 shock). never had a problem

A simple pulley rig would work.......I have seen guys use 6 inch leaders with a fish finder rig/weight

If you want distance, a short 10" or shorter leader snelled circle is the way to go with the fishfinder rig. I have found that a long rig leads to helicoptering with the sinker or main shock leader.

Thanks for the input, I will make shorter leaders for the fish finder, and try a pully rig.

Also I'm thinking about going to mono mainline.

26 mins ago, surffish said:

post-48891-0-09152800-1469142052.jpegIf you really want distance, go as short as 3" or just hook your mainline to the hook after the sinker.

Never thought of that, seems logical, I thought I was cheating by going down to 12", gonna try the 3". Thanks for the tip

On 6/16/2020 at 7:41 AM, Dustyn said:

I guess my question is, can I shorten my bait leader to 10" and still be productive?

You can drop an egg sinker on the eye of your hook and catch fish. :)

2 hours ago, CharlieCompany said:

Use an egg sinker. Blues, Bonita, Spanish Macs, etc . . . . .

This video is excellent. I go into tire shops and ask them for a couple of lug nuts from mag wheels and make the same lure. I drill an eight of an inch hole through the top . I will toss them just like any other metal lure..

Dustyn,

Look into clipped DOWN rigs ie the baited hook is clipped directly to the sinker; you get better distance.