mike123

Revo 13 vs 16

23 posts in this topic

I’m lookin to make the jump to a hobie this year. I used to fish out of a trident 13, mostly fresh water. Right now I’m leaning towards a revo mostly because it’s lighter and more minimalist than the outback. I’m from north shore MA, would mostly be fishing from Winthrop up to Beverly. 

2 hours ago, mike123 said:

I’m lookin to make the jump to a hobie this year. I used to fish out of a trident 13, mostly fresh water. Right now I’m leaning towards a revo mostly because it’s lighter and more minimalist than the outback. I’m from north shore MA, would mostly be fishing from Winthrop up to Beverly. 

Riddler has both and fishes those areas ... probably the most appropriate opinion 

Anyone have experience with both. Any noticeable difference in speed or stability?  Does the 16 footer ever feel cumbersome on the water?

The 16 tracks better, cuts through chop better, and takes less effort to maintain speed. Turning radius is wider. 

I mainly fish in the bay/out front (NJ). I can't see going back to a 13. 

Need to know your weight. If you are under 275lbs you will be fine.  I was on the upper 275 maybe 280 and now that I lost weight and down at. 219 The performance is better. 

My Revo 16 sacrifices some stability compared to my Revo 13, just a little but what I gain is the extra few feet to reach that next wave and that's where you will gain speed over the 13. I also miss tossing the 13 into the back of my tail gate in the Tacoma.  Easy.  I have to roof it now...huge difference compared to deploying out of the back rigged and ready for battle. 

The 16 can haul in the large bass just like the 13 its just that I am deploying my legs over the sides when bringing in large bass and casting in choppy conditions more often than my 13.

For those that don't know I actually ripped out that Vantage Seat from my 18 Revo 13 and gained stability.  I am giving the vantage seat a shot but to be honest I would gain more initial stability if I rip the vantage seat out of the 16 and go With a standard kayak seat again and pad.  The vantage seat for me 

is really no advantage.  Lowering the seat and gaining a 1/2" may make a difference on the 16.  It did for my 13. 

Thanks for the replies. I’m 5’8 180lb. 

called around today to find a 16, found one 2020 model. I might expand my search radius to see if I can find a 19. Not sure if I want the kick up fins. 

8 hours ago, mike123 said:

Thanks for the replies. I’m 5’8 180lb. 

called around today to find a 16, found one 2020 model. I might expand my search radius to see if I can find a 19. Not sure if I want the kick up fins. 

What are you fearful of?

2 hours ago, mike123 said:

Reduced durability for a feature I don’t think is that useful while cruising the ocean

Durability/longevity.  Research the drive offered with it.  Then tell your dealer what you want to make the sale.  
  Three out of the four fit your intended purchase.  One has the least problems. 

B958CC29-9654-4A59-AE30-1FCC85D0B196.jpeg

49 mins ago, Rick67 said:

Durability/longevity.  Research the drive offered with it.  Then tell your dealer what you want to make the sale.  
  Three out of the four fit your intended purchase.  One has the least problems. 

B958CC29-9654-4A59-AE30-1FCC85D0B196.jpeg

Seems weird they made a specific drive just for the non-Camo Compass. I wonder if it will have the same bearing issues the 180 has had crop up lately. 

In terms of 13 vs. 16, if I only fished out front I would probably opt for the 16, but a lot of my fishing is in the river and backwater areas where you can find yourself needing to back up or turn around quite a bit. I'm glad to have the 13'/180 drive in those situations. I haven't run into a case where I wish I had the kick up fins (yet). 

I had both Revo 13 and Outback.   The Revo is much faster.   As far as the 16 goes did try one for a while ... probably faster on the open sea but that's a lot boat to transport.  minimal stability benefit not worth the weight/length  transportation hassle.  

I think think will go down to as what you are fishing for. If you plan on chasing pelagic species this is definitely the go to. Also on how you transport. If you roof top a vessel then go with the 16. Factor in how far you want to go and stability vs speed. Take your time on the decision. As stated the drives are backwards compatible except the 360 that only comes on the pro angler models.