rst3

Tuna

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

"See you in 2021"

Due to COVID, the tuna market has totally collapsed. There's no restaurant traffic in both the US and Japan. 

Screenshot_20200615-121515_Chrome.jpg.73a659025c73b4f4a3e56f2ad063b239.jpg

Another hitch is freight flights to Japan are now highly curtailed.

Commercial dealers in New England aren't buying any rod&reel fish until at least July 15th. And even then, they're going with known, high-quality suppliers. Don't expect to be able to sell your burnt "yake" on the docks this year, boys. Only primo colored meats are being eyed.

Low drag/swim fish/iceicebaby/get those temps down

Screenshot_20200615-010924_Chrome.jpg.3de18ec50e75d9ce71c4cbf583edd4f1.jpg

Screenshot_20200615-010951_Chrome.jpg.a6227de1544b21805753e78a15660e2b.jpg

ONe can expect many of the commercial fish along with striped bass which opens next week will also find it hard to sell any of the catch and if they do find a buyer the prices may well not make it worthwhile to do so. It may be a blessing that the Army Corp has decided to not allow commercial fishing inside the Cape Cod Canal and given the present lack of the usual pods of fish they seem to be staying away from the usual tricks to catch them , it may well be a long summer around here. Peace and Prayers

44 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

They'll still be getting $24/lb on Wicked Tuna.

Seriously.

I honestly don't know how they could film a season right now. 

31 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

Maybe with restaurants opening back up they’ll be at least some demand. Not looking promising tho

Nope. It looks bad. 

Worst part is, some of the highest quality tuna that manages to get shipped to Japan may end up not making enough at auction to cover the 200% cost on shipping now. So the fisherman not only won't get a check, he'll be sent a bill

Here's a statement on the current bluefin tuna situation from the ABTA.

June 11, 2020

To General and Harpoon Category Bluefin Tuna Fishermen:

The General and Harpoon Category summer-fall commercial bluefin tuna fishing season has begun just as much of the US is slowly beginning its climb out of a 100-day lock-down due to a pandemic nobody has ever experienced before. Plummeting demand for seafood due to this pandemic is being compared to the halt on commercial fishing during both world wars.

Think about it: When was the last time any of us ate in a restaurant or, more importantly, in a sushi bar?

Here in the US and worldwide, seafood business in general came to a grinding halt as restaurants were shut down. In the case of the US, this occurred in March. Supermarkets remained open but supermarkets are generally price-sensitive and many supermarkets nationwide are not able to sell more expensive and highly perishable fish such as bluefin or possibly don’t have customers who are looking to buy bluefin.

The Japanese handled the COVID outbreak quite well early on but recently experienced a spike in COVID cases and the country was shut down again for 2-3 weeks. Demand for bluefin has been very low in Japan.

All this is expected to change slowly as restaurants and sushi bars begin to reopen here in the US and in Japan. Nobody knows how slowly or quickly this will occur. The pace of reopening of restaurants may not be the same in your hometown as it is in major cities in the US. New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Washington DC and other major cities where most of our domestic customers are located were hit hard by the pandemic and some of these cities are very recently experiencing an increase in number of COVID cases.

Our bluefin is typically sold to “white table” restaurants and Japanese food restaurants. And when some restaurants begin to open, we need to keep in mind that there is a huge credit risk for a fish dealer in selling bluefin to a restaurant that has been closed and without cash flow since March. Fish dealers won’t sell a fish unless they know that they will get paid for that fish. Some restaurants may never reopen. Keep in mind, in recent years, approximately 60% of our bluefin was sold in the domestic market.

Also, it’s important to keep in mind that restaurant reopening is a controlled process in most cities. In the beginning, most cities will allow restaurants to have only a limited number of customers.

As for exporting bluefin to Japan, there are two big issues: What will be the demand for our bluefin in Japan this summer and fall and what will it cost to get our bluefin to Japan? Right now, there is only one flight per day from JFK to Tokyo (FedEx) and the cost of airfreight has dramatically increased due to the pandemic. One flight is very nearly meaningless for our fish dealers. Japan Airlines has cancelled its service to Japan until further notice. United Airlines has converted some passenger planes to cargo and are now charging double the typical cost for airfreight.

The big question regarding the Japanese market: Will the present high cost of airfreight result in a loss for our bluefin that are sold in Japan? Remember, those shipments are made on consignment (the fish is sold at auction in Japan and our dealers won’t know precisely how much each fish is worth until it is sold) and if the fish sells at a loss after deducting the cost of airfreight and handling, the fisherman may owe money.

Therefore, this season is not going to be business as usual. Every single commercial fishery here in the US and everywhere else in the world is suffering right now and our bluefin fishery is no exception. Our fishermen need to significantly scale back their expectations for what will take place this season. Stay in regular contact with your fish dealer. Do not assume that your fish dealer is able to take your fish. Do not assume that because your fish dealer took a fish from you or your friend a few days ago, that he is going to take your fish today. Contact your fish dealer before you go fishing.

American Bluefin Tuna Association

13 mins ago, rst3 said:

Nope. It looks bad. 

Worst part is, some of the highest quality tuna that manages to get shipped to Japan may end up not making enough at auction to cover the 200% cost on shipping now. So the fisherman not only won't get a check, he'll be sent a bill

I’ve been reading/hearing the same. Maybe the only benefit is that some of that high quality fish that we in the states wouldn’t ordinarily have access to may become available locally

12 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

I’ve been reading/hearing the same. Maybe the only benefit is that some of that high quality fish that we in the states wouldn’t ordinarily have access to may become available locally

That's true. So bonus for the local consumer, however limited they may be.

Big thing though is dealers won't be in any position to scoop up the vast number of burnt fish that typically hit the docks each summer, and yet still get sold in the domestic market. So even if you have the "ok" to fish and sell by a dealer, if they get to the dock and your fish quality isn't at least "good?" Could easily get rejected and find yourself with a 400lb worthless carcass. Though I suppose that's a better outcome than sending primo meat overseas then getting sent a bill.

57 mins ago, rst3 said:

That's true. So bonus for the local consumer, however limited they may be.

Big thing though is dealers won't be in any position to scoop up the vast number of burnt fish that typically hit the docks each summer, and yet still get sold in the domestic market. So even if you have the "ok" to fish and sell by a dealer, if they get to the dock and your fish quality isn't at least "good?" Could easily get rejected and find yourself with a 400lb worthless carcass. Though I suppose that's a better outcome than sending primo meat overseas then getting sent a bill.

at least your friends and fam..would eat well

2 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

They'll still be getting $24/lb on Wicked Tuna.

The prices are just for show. I doubt the show will want liability of the camera crew mixing with the fishing crew. Not sure what phase entertainment falls under I’m mass.

Question for the tuna fishermen. 

Can a fish be sold directly on the  dock without the 'dealer'?

I know  in Chatham the scallopers have a  buy direct off the dock program goin, and I have  heard similar for lobstermen.

1 min ago, FishRatz said:

I know  in Chatham the scallopers have a  buy direct off the dock program goin, and I have  heard similar for lobstermen.

Well that depends........Fish can be sold with a retail boat permit......Same with scallops as they are a shucked meat, however live shellfish cannot be sold directly to the public.......Which sucks because that is what i fish for...........:( 

8 hours ago, FishRatz said:

Sale of bluefin requires a federal bluefin Dealer license. They are available but I don’t see a big rush on them developing.