Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 16 - June 23

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know where the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

Moving closer to the 1st day of summer. Ocean water temperatures are finally moving into the 60's. Good stretch of weather coming this week.

Two ~25 inch bass and a harbor blue were my rewards for walking 3 miles and fishing for a few hours. The air still feels a little too chilly at night for good nighttime summer fishing. Give it another week and I think we will be in business.

There's been quite a few bonito picked up in eastern Nantucket Sound over the past week. Heard other reports from RI too. The MA fish I've seen were decent sized. To 4lbs.

7 hours ago, ne_dan said:

E3935340-2272-4430-BBFE-BFD3100400E3.jpeg

Awesome! 

I wonder if someone will jump a tarpon off one of the south shore beaches on Nantucket. It happens more often than you’d think. Wild fishery there being so close to the Gulf Stream 

Fished last pm from 8:30 - 11;30, kind of a weak tide with the in between moon tides, and was rather cool out which resulted in a lot of short hits. Not much bait noted, couple fish in shallower pockets right around sunset and then a big lull for awhile.  Fish would come in and out in in waves with nothing in between, fish did not want to commit to shallower water.  Some waves would have bass and some waves would have blues.  Ended up with 10-12 fish but had to work for them, only wanted herring colored minnow plugs.  Blues were a PIA and hit swivels at some points.  Bass were 22- 27" and some of the blues were decent sized.

Fishing Log

Date/Time Tuesday, June 16 5:15am - 1:00pm

Tide/Moon Phase / Height, Mostly incoming, a few days before New Moon

Water Temperature / Wind / Direction 59 degrees, East wind, 10-20 mph

Wave Height  3-5 feet

Water Clarity excellent, no weeds

Bait / Bird Activity sand eels, terns and gulls

Fishing Pressure Light

Block Island

The first few hours, all nice fighting stripers in the 22- 24 inch range on flies. Next two hours an even mixture of bass and bluefish.

Last two hours... all bluefish. Fishing was consistent through out the whole day. Fish spaced out and moving but stayed in the same area.

Never had to move very far, never had to prospect and look.  Total 30 stripers, 30 bluefish..... stopped counting on the bluefish.

Size range 3-5 lbs.  An occasional 8 lbs.

4 decent schoolies off the rocks last night on a sluggo. Fished the last of the outgoing and beginning of incoming. couldn't get away from this group of chunkers that were shining bright ass flashlights all over the water..they kept trailing behind me as I moved around. very frustrating

1 hour ago, RIsurfing&fishing said:

4 decent schoolies off the rocks last night on a sluggo. Fished the last of the outgoing and beginning of incoming. couldn't get away from this group of chunkers that were shining bright ass flashlights all over the water..they kept trailing behind me as I moved around. very frustrating

Nothing worse.. I have talked to more people about their lights this year then ever.  Love the people who follow their lure or check where they cast their bait with the bright lights.....

Fished south shore from 8-1030 last nite.  Some bass nothing huge saw one over slot fish caught, and 3-5 pound razor lips.  Went back out at 330am hit gansett rocks and threw pencils at two normally productive spots till high tide for zip.