Irishfire18

Just some old reels

14 posts in this topic

Just some reels that were passed to me. Any info would be appreciated. Then 1 question should I keep the line on the little Shakespeare look pretty period correct? Thank you

1D07625F-3EC1-455B-9492-648724304EE0.jpeg

ECA21B80-44F8-4C67-B9B1-E2AE3109E28D.jpeg

485F9027-E394-4620-8A6A-398A57215F38.jpeg

810BA48D-9BD2-468F-9AFB-EC4181A74AFA.jpeg

2F0C88F7-9361-4DAA-A1C4-14F21473B936.jpeg

8E298759-1197-422C-A91F-F420FBBDE581.jpeg

Figured that the boxes and paperwork were more valuable then the reels but that little Shakespeare is gorgeous. Not a mark on it and I’m going to loose the line. Thanks

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

And lose the line

The spools could be corroding behind it

4 mins ago, IslandSurf said:

The Sea Boy is the best one...

What year do you think it’s from ? Don’t think that was ever used. Still has the tissue paper with the reel. Thank you

8 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

What year do you think it’s from ? Don’t think that was ever used. Still has the tissue paper with the reel. Thank you

Ya I wouldn't fish it,,,:laugh: there $3 to $10dollars at yard sales,,,,,but not in that condition very unique and a penn collector like,,,,,1badf350 might like it,,,:) 1940's to 60's,,,,,,:naughty:

8 hours ago, bennie said:

Ya I wouldn't fish it,,,:laugh: there $3 to $10dollars at yard sales,,,,,but not in that condition very unique and a penn collector like,,,,,1badf350 might like it,,,:) 1940's to 60's,,,,,,:naughty:

Thank you Bennie I appreciate the info.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Shakespeare Marhoff is one of your better baitcasting reels from the 1940s-1950s  Take the line, off, clean the spool, put the line back on if you wish.

Edited by gadabout

12 hours ago, gadabout said:

The Shakespeare Marhoff is one of your better baitcasting reels from the 1940s-1950s  Take the line, off, clean the spool, put the line back on if you wish.

Thank you gadabout will do . It’s a pretty little reel.

My local antique store has a Ru Pacific that's been on the shelves for a while. Cool looking reel but it doesn't look like it'd hold a ton of line and the half bail looks like it'd destroy your knuckles eventually.

If you put mono on that little Shakespeare be sure to use a backing of Braided Dacron. A quarter inch or so should be plenty.

I've seen more than one early spool imploded by using monofilament line without a backing.

Mono stretches a bunch, which puts tremendous pressure on the spool. Enough to crush them if the spool is not designed for mono lines and properly reinforced.

Edited by afishhunter

44 mins ago, afishhunter said:

If you put mono on that little Shakespeare be sure to use a backing of Braided Dacron. A quarter inch or so should be plenty.

I've seen more than one early spool imploded by using monofilament line without a backing.

Mono stretches a bunch, which puts tremendous pressure on the spool. Enough to crush them if the spool is not designed for mono lines and properly reinforced.

Thanks for that info I was not aware that that could happen. I was thinking of setting it up because I also have the rod which looks as good as the reel. Thanks again.