Jim A.

Smack it jr 35. Poppers ..can’t find them ? Help !

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

38 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I developed that one last year :)

That was a fun project.  Working within cad and adjusting the protos was a fun experience

nice work, looks great - i'll have to try one out soon around the sedges near me.  

Another awesome one is a DUO Fangpop 105 (4 1/8” 7/8oz) or 120 (4 3/4” 1 1/8oz).

I have a few of the 105s and they get it done!

These things have some of the craziest wicked hooks I have ever seen on a lure this size. Thru wired 2 boot….

E8381358-F7E5-47B8-86CA-8389838E404F.jpeg

3FFEFAF5-9F96-4B68-8527-33EA21BF051A.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

2 hours ago, surfstryker said:

nice work, looks great - i'll have to try one out soon around the sedges near me.  

Cool! Try the big spook as well....That was another ground up bait I designed :)

lots of 3d printed models and mixing of tungsten powder and epoxy to get the weighting right.

Only thing I didn't provide input on was the color other than 

Hell yessss you should do a PICKLE RIIIICK :)

Edited by scoobydoo

Lol,  the original post was 2020.    Fast forward

Well I had two guys out with me on Saturday, both were fishing smack it, and I was fishing or Yozuri three d....Obviously we fished within 10 yards of one another the snack it’s out fish me 8 to one  all day....And I mean all day. So it was proof positive that it is something about the rattle in that popper ..
—. Then i had them switch lures.   I tossed the smack it. …  so scientific..

The smack it triggered the strike.  4-1 over the yozuri.   And the spook ..

I don’t know if it’s the rattle…. Or the feathers.    Or whatever.   ..I would like them more if they were 6.00 !!

On 9/16/2021 at 7:49 AM, sinfish said:

No love for the Tsunami talking popper?

Love it but the smallest size is only 5” I believe. The Smack-It Jr is 3.75” and only 3/4oz. Perfect light tackle popper.

7 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

Love it but the smallest size is only 5” I believe. The Smack-It Jr is 3.75” and only 3/4oz. Perfect light tackle popper.

They do offer a 4”….it’s not 3.75” but close

I love the smack it jr and have a stash of them but have tried the hogy and also the new yozuri (7/8 oz size.) My biggest complaint with the hogy is that a 75# TA clip won’t fit. I use a clip 95% of the time so this is a non starter for me since I already have plenty of smacks around. I can’t understand why they wouldn’t think of this knowing how many people use clips. 

The Yozuri is a contender for me. The clip fits so good there. It casts incredibly well. I can probably throw that 30-40% further than the smack. This really only matters when it matters but better to have that capability. The down side is that it doesn’t pop as easily as the Smack. I find that it will dart under and take an extra second or two to surface and be ready for another pop. The smack pops so easy and never sinks down even with a clip. The yozuri also doesn’t have rattles and there’s just something about those smack rattles. Finally, the yozuri hooks suck. They claim saltwater grade hooks on all their inshore plugs but 25” bass bend them right away. I would switch to VMCs right away. 

Ive decided that I’m sticking with the smack it jr for most situations even at the higher price. They simply catch more for me and are easier to work. The one time I’ll go with the yozuri is in a strong head or side wind as it casts like a rocket. I will say I’m also interested in testing the new fishaholic popper as well.