SurfFishDan

Penn Battle III out in July?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

Don't know how many of you checked out the advertised new Penn Battle III reels on J&H's website, but looks like they will have sizes ranging from 1K to 10K including 3 models with high speed reels (4K, 6K and 8K).

Seems to still feature all metal body and HT-100 drag, looks like it's 5+1 sealed bearings and the newest feature their CNC gears, probably aluminum main gear from 1k to 5k and all brass from 6k and up.

Apart from the high speed versions, looks like a blend on Battle II and Clash first gen....? I now understand why they dropped the 6k and 8k for the second generation of the Clash.

The 6k and 8k Clash from gen 1, were all metal (unlike the 5k and below that featured a RR30 rotor?) and featured all brass CNC gearing, BUT they also had 8+1 sealed bearings, light handle with comfy EVA power knob, some sealing under the drag and above et AR clutch AND more importantly: Leveline slow oscillation which is one the Clash first gen best features.

So yes, they were better than what is the new Battle III, but they were also more expensive than the advertised MSRP for the new Battle.  Since this Battle launch coincides with the liquidation prices of the Clash 1, why preorder a Battle 3? I mean The 8k Clash 1 is on sale at around 150$ and the new Battle III 8k is 145$

I'll let this sink in... 

I don't know, I'd still get a Clash 1 first gen over a Battle 3, for the 6k and 8k sizes if you want or need a metal rotor.

Edited by SurfFishDan

I dunno but there’s Too much to think about in your post.

I just found an old Mitchell 300 which I started working on because the grease had solidified and everything was gummed up.

I’m gonna degrease it, re-lube everything and then reassemble it and I’ll have a 40 something year old reel which originally cost $20 and it will still out last the reels you’re talking about.

5 mins ago, valentine said:

I dunno but there’s Too much to think about in your post.

I just found an old Mitchell 300 which I started working on because the grease had solidified and everything was gummed up.

I’m gonna degrease it, re-lube everything and then reassemble it and I’ll have a 40 something year old reel which originally cost $20 and it will still out last the reels you’re talking about.

Hehe, I know. Sorry about that, I got all worked up during my second coffee.

Funny you say that, I just un-spooled and hung my Mitchell 300 on my wall, first reel I ever got.

Just now, SurfFishDan said:

Hehe, I know. Sorry about that, I got all worked up during my second coffee.

Funny you say that, I just un-spooled and hung my Mitchell 300 on my wall, first reel I ever got.

My Mitchell 300 was the First spinning reel I was ever given and it was old when I got it.
Seriously, man, we all overthink things today. 
There are too many choices and it’s all more complicated than it needs to be.
I just caught a nice striper on an old rod which most of today’s internet fisherman would turn their noses up at.
It’s old and scarred and the epoxy on the guide wraps is cracking.

One of the ceramic guide inserts had to be epoxied back in because I’m just not feeling like wrapping a rod right now.

Still, the rod performed like a champ and it whipped the fish soundly.

A bragging rod?

Certainly not, unless I want to brag about how I can still catch well on old, inexpensive tackle.

It’s a marketing scheme. The battle is one of Penn’s most popular reels. People hear of a new reel and they go get one. Most not looking at specs or doing any side by side comparisons. 

I guess it's meant to offer stronger gearing over it's main competitor, the BG. It probably won't be as smooth, but will be stronger internally, and I assume comparably sealed. I guess the sealing and appearance is all that differentiates the new battle III from the Spinfisher VI? Maybe a slightly different drag? The spinfisher and BG look much better than the new battle IMO, actually I think the battle II looks better than the new III also.

On 2020-06-17 at 8:47 AM, yakscientist said:

and I assume comparably sealed.

Which is nothing but the drag knob. The BG it a much faster reel when comparing line retrieve to the Battle, at least the second generation. Fast retrieve is sometimes good, further south. For stripers, supposedly not so much.

On 2020-06-17 at 8:47 AM, yakscientist said:

I guess the sealing and appearance is all that differentiates the new battle III from the Spinfisher VI? Maybe a slightly different drag?

Goog point there! I think that is about right. That was probably the case with the Spinfisher V and the Battle II. Although the sizes offering where different and retrieve rates where not the same for comparable sizes... if the numbers where not bogus.