harborview860

Best way to eye extensions?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have been tying up squid flys and need a better way to do eyes on extensions. I used wire bent in half and eye glued to the bend. Problem is that eyes get really bent after a fish  and then hard to get fly to track properly after. 
any better ideas ??

80-100lb test. Straighten it by putting it in a straw, boiling water, tossing it in for a couple minutes, taking it out and rinsing with cold water. 

If just want to extend the eye, use some e6000 or something and glue the two back there. You can also tie the head off of the mono extensions to make your squid larger. 

Heavy mono with a 1/2"+/-, 150+/- degree bent back end. Glue the bent back portion and the main section of the mono to the back of the eye. Works for me.

Heat up heavy clear mono with a candle, and when soft, flatten out the end with wet fingers or pliers so there is a small, flat disc. Use super glue to affix the prism eye to the flat spot, and tie them in. The flat spot gives more surface area for the glue to stick. 

Just a thought.Back a few years ago a couple of us got some "sixpack" rings from the local package store[unused] and cut strips of different lengths,widths,and shapes.1st clean the strip with alcohol type cleaner to remove the release agent off the plastic.We used un roughed,roughed[sandpaper] and different adhesives.E6000 seemed to work the best over all.Stick-on tape eyes held up best.The epoxy eyes did work well too just the thinner tape eyes took more of a beating.Buy some brews to help with the transaction.I knew a guy at the packie who also fished so it helped.Oh! gave him a couple of creations to keep the friendship in tacked.Workd well on big bunkerpatterns with the eyes abit behind the final tie in of the head.Kind of like a gillplate.