Steve in Mass

Fishing "Cart" with Seat

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, spinal stenosis has severely limited my activities in the past months, and earlier this week I realized just how much I can no longer do the way I used to, including even the easiest of fishing spots. At this point, I can walk about 50 feet, and then I am done unless I sit down for a minute or two.

So got to thinking, and a wheeled fishing cart with a seat would go a long way in allowing me to get back to it, even if a limited way. Being an engineer. I have the perfect thing in mind, but well........

This is about the closest I can find and would likely suffice. It is a Berkeley fishing cart.

5ee3b37f2862f_FishingCart.png.5029d8b9f1bf37264c0a59cb542ce998.png

This is about the only thing of its kind I have found with a search of Google. Anyone know of anything else? Biggest features are that the basket must be large enough for a standard 5 gallon bucket even with the "seat" down so if I get too much in pain, I can easily sit down with the basket still loaded with gear.

Also, must have "legs" with discs at least as big as these so as it doesn't dig in to soil. For sand use, I could modify on my own when needed.

Any input would be appreciated.

I know someone who has vast experience at building DIY PVC fishing carts! :D

This is very doable, actually, but I'd start with balloon tires. The tires on the one in your picture are useless on the beach: when using them on soft sand, they might as well be square and made of cement. 

I'll try to dig up a picture of my cart. 

Pics are in the link at the bottom. With 1.5-inch PVC, a good axle, and balloon tires, you could make what you're talking about pretty easily. 

My two cents? I'd do an open box that you put a cooler inside. The cooler is your chair -- and you have a cooler in there as well. 

Just get a beach cart with the balloon tires and carry a real high seat folding chair. Your not going to be comfortable on that thing. 

1 min ago, littletunnie said:

carry a real high seat folding chair.

Ain't gonna work.....would have to pull out the chair every 30 feet or so and sit down.....yes, it is THAT bad. Need to have the seat right there ready to be sat in at a second's notice.

Make sure you build it ADA compliant.

No, not kidding. My friend built a nice one but when he took it to the one particular beach that they like, it was too wide :eek: to fit up/down the ramp.

9 mins ago, Belmo said:

Pics are in the link at the bottom. With 1.5-inch PVC, a good axle, and balloon tires, you could make what you're talking about pretty easily. 

My two cents? I'd do an open box that you put a cooler inside. The cooler is your chair -- and you have a cooler in there as well. 

No seat...........................THAT is the most important part.

I have spinal stenosis too.  Have you had epidural steroid injections yet.  They really help.  I’m going for my second next week.  The doc injected L4 last week and will be doing L5 next week.  I had it done 12 years ago.  It gave me the opportunity to get active and lose weight which made a world of difference.  I gained the weight and now I’m back in the same situation.

33 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Unfortunately, spinal stenosis has severely limited my activities in the past months, and earlier this week I realized just how much I can no longer do the way I used to, including even the easiest of fishing spots. At this point, I can walk about 50 feet, and then I am done unless I sit down for a minute or two.

So got to thinking, and a wheeled fishing cart with a seat would go a long way in allowing me to get back to it, even if a limited way. Being an engineer. I have the perfect thing in mind, but well........

This is about the closest I can find and would likely suffice. It is a Berkeley fishing cart.

5ee3b37f2862f_FishingCart.png.5029d8b9f1bf37264c0a59cb542ce998.png

This is about the only thing of its kind I have found with a search of Google. Anyone know of anything else? Biggest features are that the basket must be large enough for a standard 5 gallon bucket even with the "seat" down so if I get too much in pain, I can easily sit down with the basket still loaded with gear.

Also, must have "legs" with discs at least as big as these so as it doesn't dig in to soil. For sand use, I could modify on my own when needed.

Any input would be appreciated.

No worries SiM.....@Belmo can have that ready for you in 2024 or so.....and he'll deliver it in his teardrop trailer if it's ready.

Steve I have spinal stenosis also and having surgery early July. Can't take the pain and the inability to do anything. Had the nerve burning s & epidural and nothing worked. Feel your pain guy.

I saw a cart made out of a walker For physically challenged folks .just the basics with the two handle grips .he fits two or three rods on it using Pcv he kept the stock wheels but could use beach type wheels .just put the seat where you need it .the seat platform can be secured I believe by the 4 down tubes...your ambulance core may give you one if they have them thru donations..

Sim weight loss seems like one of the major beneficial things to help the stenoisis.....have you found that to be helpful

11 hours ago, beret said:

Sim weight loss seems like one of the major beneficial things to help the stenoisis.....have you found that to be helpful

Doesn't matter what I do, my weight remains constant no matter what particular "tactic" I take.

If you want to fish and you need something to get you there, why not talk to a welder/fabricator about making something for you. Explain what you want and get them to build it custom. It won’t be cheap or fast but it will be sturdy and it will do what you need and want it to do.

I have not seen anything on the market that fits what you need. You could get a pier cart and modify it to have a seat on the front of it. That would probably work but they aren’t easy to roll on the sand. A 4x4 would get you in the game and you could figure out spots to fish without being more than a few feet from your truck. 

On 6/12/2020 at 8:43 PM, Surf bomber said:

I saw a cart made out of a walker For physically challenged folks .just the basics with the two handle grips .he fits two or three rods on it using Pcv he kept the stock wheels but could use beach type wheels .just put the seat where you need it .the seat platform can be secured I believe by the 4 down tubes...your ambulance core may give you one if they have them thru donations..

My mother got hers thru the VA. 

Walker with a seat. Has a basket on the front.   Bike style brakes on the handles.  Seat flips up if you dont want it.  Can also sit and shuffle around or be pushed.