gimbap1707

Is the Tsunami Classic MH rated 1/2 - 1 oz too light for ocean flaking?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have the Tsunami Classic 6'6 MH and according to John Skinner, it is capable of bouncing up to 2 oz bucktails. When I need more weight I switch to a popcorn rig, and so I was wondering if this rod can handle 3+ oz of led. I'm fishing the ocean around 55 - 90 ft of water. Should I just go with a spinning outfit with the rod rated at 3/4 - 2 oz? I'll be fishing off a party boat so I prefer using the conventional.

Have you looked at the Tsunami slow pitch rods. For what your doing that is what I use and am very happy with my selection. Seems like 3 oz's is as lite as you can go, and much heavier at times. Go to light and you will tangle more often. I love Skinner but don't know if he fishes head boats.

Posted (edited) · Report post

that would be a horrible choice for ocean fluking. 

PArty boats sometimes require 10 to 16 oz of lead. 

Edited by fvgourami3

1 hour ago, fvgourami3 said:

that would be a horrible choice for ocean fluking. 

PArty boats sometimes require 10 to 16 oz of lead. 

Party boats require 10-16 ozs?, yes sometimes, not all the time. Every drift is different,moon,tide, wind, boat profile.If you are talking about my choice I use them all the time up to about 6 oz's. And he was talking about 3 ozs.

If you were refering to his choice, I agree.

I use the 7foot mh Tsunami Classic with the Quantum Acurist for flukeing in the bay. (30/40 ft. Max. Depth) Most I will use is a 3 oz. bucktail and I think that’s about as heavy as I would want to go. You wouldn’t be able to apply enough action with any heavier. (I assume you are using the twitch method)  If I want to go heavier I grab my Shimano Trevala Jigging Rod. 

My problem with party boats is that they dont tend to control the drift like a private boater/charter would. I know any private trips I've been on you could do a .5mph drift with 1 oz of lead on 15lb braid, mean while same tide same area on a party boat I needed 8 to touch bottom.

But this would be a terrible rod for party boat. I've grown to really like the tsunami airwave elite braid select series. I think the MH is jigging for 1-6, then theres I think a 1-8 then something like a 6-12. Very well made.

It's too light, particularly from a party boat, for those depths.  You want a little more backbone.

One thing to remember if you fish a party boat is that you owe an obligation to the people around you to control your fish and not let it tangle their lines.  Not usually a problem with fluke, but if you hang a bluefish or a dog, as happens from time to time, you want something heavy enouigh to keep it coming up while collecting as few of your neighbors' lines as possible--which hopefully means none at all most of the time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/12/2020 at 0:59 PM, b4loran said:

Party boats require 10-16 ozs?, yes sometimes, not all the time. Every drift is different,moon,tide, wind, boat profile.If you are talking about my choice I use them all the time up to about 6 oz's. And he was talking about 3 ozs.

If you were refering to his choice, I agree.

I average 8 - 10 in offshore.  both your choices lol. I use 6 in the bay. 

Edited by fvgourami3