robc22

7.594 billion.......

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

People live in the world..........328.2 million of them are your countrymen.

Folks gotta eat.......Fact....The food stops, the bombs and bullets come out.

You are all against commercial fishing.....ok.....but then you all against the rec. guy that wants to keep a fish for his family.

I start a thread about using grasshoppers to feed farmed fish and take the pressure off the reduction fisheries and it's nothing but negativity from you guys against these ideas.

Where the hell do you think the food for people is gonna come from down the road? 

Save the wise ass remarks

What the hell is the matter with you?

again I will say growing up everything was tub an trawl..single hooks on long lines..single line jiggers...I used to cut bait in my spare time for the guys...but then came the draggers,gill nets,.trawlers..draggers flattened the bottom giving fish no where to congregate..gill netters killed everything that swam into them...trawlers scooping up whole schools of fish at once...this is why I get upset today when I hear comm...it's not like the days of old.

the buy back program..that was a joke..I knew some who own 3 boats..sold one to the program and took the money to better outfit the other two to do more damage...I suggested if you owned the boats only the owner could captain the one boat hence the other stays in port.and not hire another to run the other...less damage to stocks that were getting beat to death...I knew a lot of these guys in my home town and their only thought was is"ain't us wiping fish out" and bitch about how fishing today sucks...well !..I've watch whole clam beds get wiped out in one summer by diggers..instead of limiting them to three bushels a day[which is very good money for 3 hours work] they just dug an dug till everything was gone...but it's not us once again...huge stocks of quahogs were found in the sound..they rigged their boats for dragging...40 bags a day per boat..bottom dropped out of the market..they cleaned them out in one summer..but it wasn't us that did that either they said....in all these cases in one town not one limited them to make the resource last...greed gets tiring so if people don't like comm. fishing here are a few reasons they get a bad rap and rightly so...cape cod should be renamed cape codless...PS.. the only guys I have respect for now are the guys who go quahogging with a rake.

Commercial fishing is fine if it is done sustainably and managed properly. So far history has shown that this is rarely the case. 

The vast majority of commercial fishing is not sustainable and is done not to feed people but rather turn a profit. When a profit is the end goal the resources themselves will always pay the ultimate price. My problems lie with the draggers and netters that decimate all kinds of fish populations. So inefficient and the bycatch that is just thrown away disgusts me. Look at the uptick in ground fish this year locally with the draggers being out of commish.  Not all guys are as noble as you Rob and I appreciate your perspective. With that said I'm not going to sit here and say the rec guys arent a huge part of the problem as well especially as it pertains to our 7 striped friends. We can all do better for sure. 

9 hours ago, capesams said:

again I will say growing up everything was tub an trawl..single hooks on long lines..single line jiggers...I used to cut bait in my spare time for the guys...but then came the draggers,gill nets,.trawlers..draggers flattened the bottom giving fish no where to congregate..gill netters killed everything that swam into them...trawlers scooping up whole schools of fish at once...this is why I get upset today when I hear comm...it's not like the days of old.

the buy back program..that was a joke..I knew some who own 3 boats..sold one to the program and took the money to better outfit the other two to do more damage...I suggested if you owned the boats only the owner could captain the one boat hence the other stays in port.and not hire another to run the other...less damage to stocks that were getting beat to death...I knew a lot of these guys in my home town and their only thought was is"ain't us wiping fish out" and bitch about how fishing today sucks...well !..I've watch whole clam beds get wiped out in one summer by diggers..instead of limiting them to three bushels a day[which is very good money for 3 hours work] they just dug an dug till everything was gone...but it's not us once again...huge stocks of quahogs were found in the sound..they rigged their boats for dragging...40 bags a day per boat..bottom dropped out of the market..they cleaned them out in one summer..but it wasn't us that did that either they said....in all these cases in one town not one limited them to make the resource last...greed gets tiring so if people don't like comm. fishing here are a few reasons they get a bad rap and rightly so...cape cod should be renamed cape codless...PS.. the only guys I have respect for now are the guys who go quahogging with a rake.

Amen to that!

9 hours ago, capesams said:

Never challenge a bullraker to an arm wrestling match.

10 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

It’s the same argument as people who are against hunting but have no problem getting a steak at the super market

yes and if people had to slaughter and butcher their own meat and poultry or even just witness it,  there would be a lot more vegetarians/ vegans

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't think there are many guys here or anywhere against the commercial fishing of sustainable reasources given proper oversight and regulation. Guy's are against commercial bass fishing because it's not a sustainable fishery long term, end of story.

Edited by Sandbar1

I have always believed that what ever resource is available to fish upon that it belonged equally to both user groups , that is the only fair way to begin with. If a resource is in trouble as we all know our striped bass are than the managers of this resource must find ways to reduce the harvest in an equal setting of rules and regulations that both groups pay some penalty that is also fair for both user groups to do. That has been my philosophy ever since I began to fish in Salt Water . Peace and Prayers