CentralMAsurfcaster

Canal in the Rain

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

My saying when it comes to the canal is “if it’s raining and blowing I’m going “ I’ve had some unbelievable days/nights in horrible weather 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 mins ago, Joe G said:

 

Those were the days Carl.   No doubt this is part of your DNA.   :th: 

 

The same Viking DNA that flowed in the blood of your Norwegian ancestors that made their way in the North Atlantic, in open boats, in all types of weather conditions to reach and discover new lands.    

 

 

Joe each of us have some DNA in our ancestral background  that provide us in some cases how we look at life and keeping some of the traditional factors alive for the next generation and I thank you for kind words . Peace and Prayers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More rain less crowds? I can remember a night a few summers ago it was absolutely down pouring and the "good" tide switch for me was 2-3 am or so. I had set my alarm and when I got up and saw it pouring and wanted to go back to sleep I forced myself to get up and go. I fished for 2-3 hours ended up being one of my most productive nights... nobody in sight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe G said:

 

Rain I don't mind.  Wind I do mind.

Once I see that bow in my line and I loose direct control of my lure, I'm out of there.

Yeah I feel the same way. Unfortunately last night it was not really rainy but very windy which made casting and keeping contact a challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wilgabeast said:

My saying when it comes to the canal is “if it’s raining and blowing I’m going “ I’ve had some unbelievable days/nights in horrible weather 

Not to change the subject of the thread but do you find this more than often lights up a topwater bite? i've tried jigging in some windy conditions but the wind can make it difficult to feel bottom after a normal count esp. like a strong SW jigging on an ebb as the winds going opposite the current. I try to keep rod tip down after casting until the line is tight, to cut down on the wind resistance but haven't had much luck in strong wind conditions really. That along with noticeably more seaweed dislodged from the bottom jigging. I do agree however rainy nights have been productive for me.

 

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, FishyAl said:

Not to change the subject of the thread but do you find this more than often lights up a topwater bite? i've tried jigging in some windy conditions but the wind can make it difficult to feel bottom after a normal count esp. like a strong SW jigging on an ebb as the winds going opposite the current. I try to keep rod tip down after casting until the line is tight, to cut down on the wind resistance but haven't had much luck in strong wind conditions really. That along with noticeably more seaweed dislodged from the bottom jigging. I do agree however rainy nights have been productive for me.

 

Al

I think the rain certainly fuels a top water bite if there is one . Wind not so much . But bass do feed well in crazy wind and rain. Hurricane jose in 2017 was one of the best nights of fishing I’ve had in recent years . Winds up to 80 mph and fish every other cast from 35-48”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pounded the tar out of a point with a boulder field in late fall during 40 mph winds with a bucktail. They were biting within five to ten feet of the rock I was standing on. 
 

I like to get out when a storm is approaching and the barometer starts triggering the feed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditch Jigger once posted this - based on years of experience and worth remembering:

"Wind out of the southern quadrant, fish the Cape side. Northern, fish the mainland side. Dead east/west, stay home. unless you like fishing with a humongous bow in your line and your plug skating on top instead of working. If it's strong SW like it has been the last three days, try to stay to the outside of the two highway bridges. West of the Bourne, east of the Sag. SW is a dead crosswind mid-Canal, pretty much from the hockey rink to the herring run area."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

I would agree as are Blizzards

My personal best was from a hurricane driven storm. Just wasn’t in the rough stuff like most think. Fish was somewhere hiding from the commotion of it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 2:04 PM, emptyhook said:

Hurricanes are good for fishing 

bob_G could tell you about the night we fished in a hurricane that passed by a bit out to sea from the Cape, strong SE blow with gusts 50+, listening to the wind roar through the cables on a certain overhead structure, and nailed fish for hours.

We were on the Cape side and practically fishing the mainland side. :laugh: 

Find a place where the wind is behind you, and go fishing. Unless a hurricane is hitting the Cape smack in the mouth--then stay the eff home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

bob_G could tell you about the night we fished in a hurricane that passed by a bit out to sea from the Cape, strong SE blow with gusts 50+, listening to the wind roar through the cables on a certain overhead structure, and nailed fish for hours.

We were on the Cape side and practically fishing the mainland side. :laugh: 

Find a place where the wind is behind you, and go fishing. Unless a hurricane is hitting the Cape smack in the mouth--then stay the eff home

You and I were the only two out, possibly on the whole canal.  If you heard the wind, you'd say there no way you could possibly fish, let alone have a great night.

The wind was at our backs, and was taking our casts about 30 yards further than we wanted to be. You and I were both cutting back on our casts, and must have been dropping our jigs right into the waiting fish.   We were both hooking up before our jigs hit bottom. I think we finally both had enough and we left fish still hitting.  We were both getting buffeted by the wind walking the road back to our cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.