Canal in the Rain

Rate this topic

Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to gauge everyone’s feelings about fishing the canal in rainy and windy conditions. I have found success fishing the sand and jetties/breachways in stormy weather but I have not fished the canal a ton while it is raining. I’ve fished during Nor’easters before and it actually was kind of fun. I’m someone who will fish regardless of the rain but I was curious if anyone here has strong feelings either way. 

12 hours ago, CentralMAsurfcaster said:

I wanted to gauge everyone’s feelings about fishing the canal in rainy and windy conditions.  

Rain I don't mind.  Wind I do mind.

Once I see that bow in my line and I loose direct control of my lure, I'm out of there.

Edited by Joe G

3 mins ago, Joe G said:

Rain I don't mind.  Wind I do mind.

Once I see that bow in my line and I loose direct control of my lure, I'm out of there.

Words of wisdom to live by. Unless you are dead sticking some bait on the bottom  I can recall in another time chunking bait around the Iron Works with the rain and surging seas pushing the Cape Cod Bay water into the East end on an East Running current and taking some real nice fish on every cast, as soon as the bait hit the white turbulent water.I had to keep the fish from wrapping around the iron fence which I managed to do with out losing one fish for almost 4 hours  Peace and Prayer

Edited by Angler #1
add

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

I never did good in the rain. I used to fish in any kind of weather including pouring rain. Now I don’t consider it worth it to me since I’ve never seen any indication that the fishing was better in the rain. Not to mention being uncomfortable because your soaked. I’ll still fish in mist or sprinkle but steady rain i’m Not interested. 

7 mins ago, Joe G said:

Maybe for you Carl, but not for me. 

Joe of all the many times we have fished I have always enjoyed the days when the winds, rain and snow were going full blast. Having actually gone out back in another time during hurricanes and blizzards to catch fish . Just something about the challenges you need to face and being prepared to catch fish . I have seen times down on the Sugar Bowl While fishing for Cod In a blizzard where the wind pushed a wall of sea water against the rocks and lifted it towards the heaven straight up We were using sea worms and up to 8 ounces of lead in attempt to break the wind build up as it hit the stones . Only to have the weight wind up on top of the roof of the Bowl over the seats . That was a short , non productive night, but one I will recall for the rest of my life, as an one time situation that did not work out to bring some fish home. It was a long walk back to the van that night as the wind and rain and snow was spitting out against my foul weather gear . It was the beginning of a new challenge to myself to see if I had what it took to overcome the effects of the storm conditions. I had one occasion during one fall trip down at Moon Island during the fall run fishing on the flats and a storm kicked up with some electrictifing lightning bouncing along the surface of the water. It was a good thing my rod was made from glass as I felt one of the bolts and that was when I decided to leave, but it was an interesting night for sure. Peace and Prayer

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

24 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

…. have always enjoyed the days when the winds, rain and snow were going full blast. …..Having actually gone out back in another time during hurricanes and blizzards ….. . It was the beginning of a new challenge to myself to see if I had what it took to overcome the effects of the storm conditions....

Those were the days Carl.   No doubt this is part of your DNA.   :th: 

The same Viking DNA that flowed in the blood of your Norwegian ancestors that made their way in the North Atlantic, in open boats, in all types of weather conditions to reach and discover new lands.