Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Replenishment about to begin in Long branch

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I thought the state was completely broke ??

BEACH REPLENISHMENT UPDATE LONG BRANCH JUNE 2020

- The beach replenishment is expected to start with the pumping of sand on Sunday 6/14 or Monday 6/15.
- The work will start at Plaza Ct. on June 15th and continue south to Sycamore Ave. until June 26th. The dredge will return and pump north off Plaza Ct. on June 27th and will complete the West End section of the project on July 3rd near Avery Ave. Weather delays could occur and extend the schedule.
- There will always be a 1000-ft area closed for construction. Where possible, there will be access along the western portion, near the bulkhead for the public to pass from one side of construction to the other.

Sucks. I used to fish West End all the time in the Fall, rockpile to rockpile to rockpile. Haven't set foot there in years.

On 6/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, Ed White said:

Sucks. I used to fish West End all the time in the Fall, rockpile to rockpile to rockpile. Haven't set foot there in years.

Those jetties have never come back. Like you, I was all over them before replenishment and that Elberon stretch was a goldmine for stripers and blues, along with some nice weakies and fluke. Jim McPherson, Bruno, Dave Hill, Teddy Genola and a cast of characters roamed those jetties. Miss those days. 

On 6/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, Ed White said:

I grew up a bicycle ride away, it's just like watching your childhood home and all it's memories being demolished for condos.

On 6/11/2020 at 5:36 PM, jerseystriper said:

well, the beach has taken a beating in that area, be good for social distance and compelty foul up surfing and fishing for a year, then the jetties will be back. 

You have to be too young to have any memories of pre 1995.

Those jetties and that amount of sea life never came back.

Took 20 years but it started to get close pre-Sandy. I'll be just shy of 80 years old in another 20 years, so it's gone forever for me and my generation

This photo was taken from the corner of the boardwalk at the end of Brighton Ave of "the Pit" and "Freeloaders Beach" (other side of the first jetty, and the coolest beach on the east coast) circa 1990 before the pit was filled with condos and the jetties were all buried.

Damn I miss all that :cry:

Long Branch - The Pit - AKA Freeloaders Beach 2.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

You have to be too young to have any memories of pre 1995.

Those jetties and that amount of sea life never came back.

Took 20 years but it started to get close pre-Sandy. I'll be just shy of 80 years old in another 20 years, so it's gone forever for me and my generation

This photo was taken from the corner of the boardwalk at the end of Brighton Ave of "the Pit" and "Freeloaders Beach" (other side of the first jetty, and the coolest beach on the east coast) circa 1990 before the pit was filled with condos and the jetties were all buried.

Damn I miss all that :cry:

Long Branch - The Pit - AKA Freeloaders Beach 2.jpg

That was a great place to hang out on the beach and a great couple of jetties to fish and snorkel. We called it “Free Beach”.

No question you and I were there at the same time

1977 through 1982 I was there a lot 

I was the guy with the Irish Wolfhound

Edited by Sudsy